Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Representing myself for upcoming divorce

Options
  • 08-06-2024 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am separated for 10 years with one son and zero assets apart from a house, co-owned by myself and my ex. Both she and my son live in the house.

My ex is a very troubled woman. Bipolar, huge mood swings, with a vicious Temper and extremely vengeful.

I have had 10 years of vengeful hate, whereby she has used my son as a pawn to exact as much damage to me as possible. But, I digress, as this is irrelevant to my question.

We had verbally agreed on a separation and divorce agreement last year, which benefitted her hugely, as I was going to sign the house over to her, with the agreement that any proceeds from the sale of it would go towards my son. There were many more beneficial factors to her.

However, one week after I commented on the living conditions of the house ( think the worst hoarder on earth, multiplied by 10), I relieved a claim for divorce with a list of ludicrous demands. However, she is employing the services of legal aid, and every signature is signed " Law Centre".

I need to contact her solicitor, to discuss the situation. Is there a way of contacting the solicitor with whom my ex will be dealing?

As I am representing myself, am I entitled to correspond with her legal representative?

Thank you, in advance, for your help.

LP.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

The best and only advice anyone can give you in this scenario is to get a solicitor. Trying to represent yourself in a hostile situation where the other party has a legal advisor is absolute madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Iguarantee

As someone who was a child in a scenario not too unlike yours and also as a parent myself I strongly, strongly advise you to get a solicitor.

Get the best deal possible for yourself and your child.

Do not represent yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

If you think representing yourself - after how you've just described her - is a good idea then you really need to wake up.

Get a solicitor and loose the nonsense thinking.

I hope it goes as well as possible for you and you can then move on with your life. All the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Ditto, all of the above.

Advertisement