Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU Elections 2024 - Results

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,367 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I'd simplify things for the Euros somehow… massive constituencies and list of candidates. Get rid of surpluses or only 1-5 preferences (number of seats).

I think the 'process' is good at generating interest in elections \ voting process etc.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

I'd agree with you on this only if we had any decent coverage or commentators.

For comparison, look at what the BBC have compared to what we have. ie no comparison. I can think of at least half a dozen top class commentators on BBC from Ros Atkins to Sophie Rayworth to Jo Coburn to Fiona Bruce to Victoria Derbyshire. List goes on and on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭bren2001

That wouldn't speed much up. You're still required to eliminate and transfer one by one.

Surpluses only really slow things down when someone gets elected on Count #1. After that, there usually isn't that many to be redistributed.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Can you point us towards an existing evoting system that is secure, transparent, reliable, scalable and able to follow the logic of the PR/STV followed here?
    Do they provide a verifiable audit trail should it be required?
    Furthermore, given your claim that the old evoting machines weren't hackable, could they have been tampered with before they were wheeled into the polling station?

Given the ongoing storage and the maintenance costs, along with the software licence costs, exactly how much will we save (rather than just claiming a vague "millions and millions")?

The only reason I ask is because generally those who shout for the reintroduction of evoting machines haven't a clue about these machines and the reasons why we're not using them !

• Registered Users Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭josip

Moving on…

I got the O'Riordain leapfrog of Cuffe wrong, but it will probably happen in the next count. I suspect that Clare Daly will leapfrog both. And I think Niall Boylan will stay ahead of all until O'Riordain gets him at the death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,560 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Cuffe will be very happy to be still ahead after that. Its very questionable as to which of them will get more from Smith

Hard left voters going for the Greens after 4 years in Government - well, they did to an extent in the locals; they also don't like Labour either. And Daly still has support even if its been cut away by five years of Putinbottery

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭brick tamland

• Registered Users Posts: 17,947 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Interesting wide spread between Smith, Labour and the Greens, doesnt look good for Daly at all if she expected to get a lot out of Smiths transfers based on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Aodhan getting ahead of Cuffe is likely best case for Boylan

Cuffes vote is far more likely to go to FG/FF than LAB compared to the reverse.

Still unlikely to make it though, all comes down to how much of Daly's anti-everything vote goes to Niall Boylan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭JVince

Ireland is a country of 5.2million. The UK is 68million.

Making comparisons is ridiculous.

• Advertisement

Still unlikely to make it though, all comes down to how much of Daly's anti-everything vote goes to Niall Boylan

Daly could easily finish #4 or #5. Her votes may never transfer. She needs about 50% of Smiths vote tho as I cant see anyone else really transferring to her after Brid.

i was waiting for that response.

There is no reason whatsoever that Ireland per capita should not have there fair share of top class commentators.

Gavan Reilly. Zara King. Miriam O'Callaghan

Is this the best we can do? seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Highlighter75

He still has a healthy lead and the eliminations are reducing drastically.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

I couldn't care less who wins but its compelling viewing. A bit like dot (gps Tracker) watching on ultra multi day cycling events 😀

Niall Boylan looked comfortable but the left transfer could and probably will kill him

• Registered Users Posts: 8,025 ✭✭✭Patser

Only 400 between Cuffe and O'R with Smith to go - and they could go anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Andrews could hoover up a few of the Smith/Left xfers after his stance against Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 4,910 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

The machines got used, they worked, then the numpty squad came in because of fear of "camputers". Led by none other than Joe Higgins.

The machines ended up getting dumped because of security concerns when the World was a lot safer online.

The chances of corruption at voting is a lot higher with cards than using online voting.

Like most things in Ireland, the idiots won the argument

From the commission report:

"The Commission can recommend the voting and counting equipment as follows:

• The voting machine and related hardware components are of good quality and their design, which is based on voting systems that have been reliable in use elsewhere for some years, has also remained stable since their adaptation for use in Ireland. Subject to some minor security and usability enhancements, followed by extended and rigorous testing once they have been so modified, the voting machine and related components can be confidently recommended for use.
    • The embedded software of the voting machine is also of adequate quality, requiring only minor modifications followed by further analysis to confirm its reliability."

So it required a few software patch's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭JVince

But its a very valid response. Do you not think you will get a better choice for a position in a population of 68m v 5m? - Though looking at UK politicians, I think UK people would much prefer Irish politicians,

What you think is good and what someone else thinks is good can be quite different. I find the BBC coverage overbearing and far too "political".

I find Gavin Reilly to be a very good commentator on politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,339 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Jesus, if you think Gavan Reilly is in anyway useful, let's just leave it at that

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,375 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

so there's ~6k between AOR/CC and NB. if they both close that gap by 2K say with each of the eliminations of smith and daly, that leaves 2k to NB; but once eith AOR or CC are eliminated, i suspect the other will benefit by more than 2k and leapfrog him?

Daly will not be eliminated next. AOR/CC will be eliminated next.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Quango Unchained

I'm not sure about that. I think CD has too much ground to make up. AOR will overtake CC in the next round. Both AOR and CC will move closer to NB but by how much?

I'd expect Daly to mop up 50% of the Smith transfers.

I don't expect Smith to transfer particularly well to AOR or CC. I am not sure AOR will make up the 400 to overtake CC in the next count.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭MFPM

• Registered Users Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭josip

Meanwhile South…

Between McNamara, Ni Mhurcu, Wallace and O'Sullivan for those 4th and 5th seats.

How transfer friendly is McNamara compared to Wallace?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Downlinz

In 2019 in the same constituency PBP with almost exactly half the vote transferred 3823 to Daly, 2343 to Boylan, 398 to Labour and 1973 to Cuffe although I suspect that last one might change considering his party is in government now.

If the transfer proportions hold up it would be enough for Daly to move ahead of Ó Ríordáin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Genghis

Gibney did not pick up a huge amount of transfers herself - 89% of her 18396 votes came from first preferences. More impresive, over 90% of Sinead Gibneys vote transferred.

So a lot of the transfers in that count were Gibney-voters second preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dingaan

It's nice to see Rory Hearne of the SD's polling poorly in MNW. He's another one who doesn't have a clue about the function of an MEP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,677 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

A reminder of how awash with left wing parties/candidates this country is.

FFG are marginally right of centre, and not really in any sense over the last few years. Everyone else in Irish politics is on a sliding scale from left of centre to full on Trotskyists, bar the few far right weirdos of course.

Glazers Out!

Advertisement