Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU Elections 2024 - Results

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Which is why I asked for what particular scanners you had in mind. Was your first answer to this completely wrong then?

The scanners that you have in mind wouldn't have any input or output paper trays, right? So we're talking about scanning hundreds of thousands of individual papers, manually handling each one into and out of the scanner?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,665 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

There's a lot of dislike towards the Greens on this site, but losing Cuffe and O'Sullivan is, on a very practical level, losing our two best MEPs. They were actively involved in committees, amendments, had a great record towards support for Ukraine, changes in legislation on cybersecurity, energy security, small business support. Just two folks at the very top of their brief. Their work was of a different order to the likes of Ming, McManus and Kelly.

Funnily enough I don't think the tide has gone out on the Greens as much as we might think.

Absolutely delighted that the odious Wallace and Daly have been sent packing. Soon to be seen looking even more dishevelled than usual appearing on Russia Today with Chay Bowes.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,921 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭blackcard

Just seen photo of MLMD from the Ireland South count. Anyone else think that she looks very unwell? Not sure her health has been great for a while

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,548 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I replied that any would do as, as you found, any would do. The technology is the same, they can all do it.

But regardless - why would they be using consumer grade scanners? They would work, as I've shown; but would be inappropriate.

Why on earth are you obsessing about this when you've been shown to be entirely wrong?

Find another issue rather than digging, digging and digging yourself in to an ever bigger hole trying to be right about something you knew nothing about.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,548 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Both MLMD and O Broin have had significant medical issues (that have been revealed to the public) within the last ~18 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,532 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Carberry becoming a MEP is gas altogether.

Never mind nor taking part in any of the debates she didn't show up at the count centre all week.

Have to give Ming credit where its due he was there everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

If you had the stress of becoming one of "The disappeared" on you, you wouldn't look so great yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

I don't think we'll see nor hear much of her for the next five years either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭The wonderfish

This election of Carberry is baffling, obviously FG handlers knew she was completely out of her depth so kept her away from the airways and out of the media, left her off bouncing around the constituency visiting nursing homes and the like, drinking tea and dancing a few sets. Obviously worked a treat but as for exactly what she will be able to bring to hard negotiations at a European level, we have no idea as we haven’t seen or heard anything from her. Sadly FG have seen it work before with Maria Walsh so expect more of this type of candidate & campaign model from all parties in future elections ☹️

• Registered Users Posts: 8,583 ✭✭✭Speak Now

She regained her seat not kept, lost it in 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,565 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

She's another Deirdre Clune.

Deirdre Clune was a Cork representative who was an MEP for 10 years. I know her personally, and for me, she was always a likeable person. But her impact in Europe might as well have been nothing.

You won't hear from Nina Carberry after the fuss has boiled down until an election comes due. I am confident of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,076 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

You won't hear of them for 5 years

I'm so sick of seeing comments like this. What exactly do people expect to hear from their MEPs? The Irish media do not cover the European Parliament. Presumable that's because Irish people don't seem to care about what happens there. It is therefore a bit rich to complain that we don't hear about how they are getting on.

The only MEPs that we have heard about in the last 5 years were for all the wrong reasons: Wallace & Daly shilling for Assad & Putin and Ming showing up on a video call in his underwear.

What exactly would people like to hear from their MEPs given that the job description is basically spending years working on typically very dry and technical legislation?

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Samson1

Ciaran Mullooly elected, Gildernew out, on Lisa Chambers transfers !!! A great day overall !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,565 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

They can certainly do a lot better than Ciaran Cuffe, a person who just lied about everything he did.

The only factual statement that the Green party candidate did there was admit he was a Dubliner.

He actually claimed in this video that he's lowered our bills. What planet is he living on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

She was the only candidate in the top 10 who didn’t show up to the count centre yesterday as well. A glorified mime artist. She was on my ballot paper and I couldn’t tell you one thing she stands for or wants to do as a MEP. I at least heard all of the other candidates from the big parties speak but the strategy worked for them. It doesn’t inspire me with confidence in her that they had to hide her away.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

The results are in

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭bobster453

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

Is she that incapable that she was told to avoid the media at all costs, well, knowing a bit about her, I’d say when it comes to politics, let’s say she’d struggle.

I have no idea how this even came about. She’s a lovely person, but is that where we are at now?

I could use any amount of analogies for her becoming an MEP and you can be guaranteed there will be very little to no scrutiny on her impact/input over the next 5 years.

Anyway, not her fault and good look to her.

But it is baffling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,975 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The entire Green Party have spent 4 years foisting the cost of unproven policies onto those that can least afford them.

And they have been absolutely skewered for it, except in a small number of wealthier areas, where the economic impact is less relevant.

They should have jettisoned Eamon Ryan when they had the chance, and now they are in an existential crisis because of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Wallace will be getting pensions,,, better than the employees he had that he stole their pensions,, anyone know what td/ MEP pensions he will be drawing?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

The green party basically did what they said they would do. It was in their manifesto

You got to give them credit for that at least

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Eudaimonia

it’s amusing how quick people are to jump on the bash FG band wagon without evidence or a plethora of information to back it up. So far we have seen Carbery not turn up to the election count centre and people are jumping to the conclusion that she will therefore be a no show for her entire European career.

What we have seen is a very high profile candidate who has appeared on Dancing with the Stars and Irelands fittest family leverage all her recognition into a phenomenal turnout to vote for her. That took undoubtedly a huge amount of time and effort behind the scenes pre election and knocking on doors to get that turnout.

What do we know of her other than that? She is a jockey. So people have jumped on these two main attributes and jumped to the conclusion she will be useless. I hope like her masterful results in getting out the vote she will prove people wrong.

We still have to see her politics but the same could be said of another celebrity candidate in the Irish Eurovision singer Cynthia ni Mhurchu. Who is to say her results will not be the same as Carbery judging by her enttertainment background and profile?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,464 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

As Willie O Dea said in 2011 it one thing to show someone a hair shirt it different if you make them wear it.

My.big fault with the Greens us is it's all idealogical. Nuclear accriss Europe would decarbonise cheaper than wind and solar and have less impact on individuals. But tge Greens are anti Nuclear.

There fascination with rural rail in Ireland and total opposition to roadways. Tge Limerick Cork motorway did not come up in the EU election but ER continual delaying of it is definitely losing votes.

The reopening of the Foynes railway is a complete waste of money will cost 150 million and will virtually never be used. Similarly to the Linerick Athenry.

The Green ways are brilliant but are mainly a tourism feature. Look at the way they f@@ked up motor tax tghe last tine they were in.power and the continual impact it has. The obsession with wind energy which means we need to build double tge infrastructure for electricity generation.

ER proposing daft ideas like car pooling in rural Ireland or the reintroduction of wolves. The constant attacking of farming by fringe elements of the green party. Give it 5 years and we will see the impact of the push to organics in Irish farming. Product and no market.

There is a reason the Greens got it in the neck

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Totally,this wind dream doesn't stand up to scrutiny and will be legacy of the current green term in government,the same as the car tax was before, showing their complete lack of cop on,,, you never hear them mention data centers but cows are bad news.…

• Registered Users Posts: 5,289 ✭✭✭Ardent

They've probably pocketed enough money from their paymasters in Moscow to see them through. Wallace is retirement age now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭MFPM

I suppose the 'evidence' you say is not there re Carbery is in fact there. She has never made any political statements that we've heard, never campaigned on an issue, and during an election campaign participated in no debates. She was chosen because of her profile and it's paid off for FG. She'll be managed in the Parliament by FG and she can probably get away without doing much, it's an easy place to hide if you wish and toe the line which she will. Let's see how it unfolds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

Pick the bones out of this.

https://www.irishtimes.com/video/video/2024/04/06/nina-carberry-i-wanted-to-have-a-say/

Some standout politics buzzwords, like "i have brothers" "hustle and bustle" "Jockey"

Several more racing analogies. She almost looks uncomfortable.

Anyway, i have said in many previous posts, a lovely woman, great jockey & best of luck to her, but not sure what she'll add in Europe to benefit Ireland (She won't be anything like the two treasonous clowns turfed out)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,356 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Why would ditching Ryan help?

Who in the GP could replace him and has shown more regard for cost impact etc?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Advertisement