Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Encampment ends while UCD continue partnerships & research with Israel?

Options
  • 08-06-2024 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭

It is great that UCD has created some scholarships for 8 displaced Palestinian students, an an additional 4 will be supported by the existing Scholars at Risk programme, and that a working group including an unnamed number of nominees from the students' union will be established to develop a policy on ethical investment by June 2025 but was the whole reason for the encampment not partnerships and research with Israeli academic institutions?

I do not see anything in the agreement that confirms this policy is going to change, rather the union will have some input into investment policy, and that more information on research grants will be in the President's reports?

It is a shame that UCD is appalled by the destruction of universities in Gaza and attacks on their students, acknowledges South Africa's case against Israel under the Genocide Convention at the ICJ, and the rulings to prevent the violation of international law but falls short of supporting these words with their actions, by committing to terminate all research, partnerships, and academic ties with, and will not consider any future investments in Israel.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

It's a pity that the encampment got taken over by a rent a crowd of thugs who were more interested in property damage and assault than the plight of Palestine. UCD has very few ties to Israel. One of the links they were asking to be broken was a cancer research fund. Hard to justify that considering it was not a state sponsor. UCD is a very pro Palestine university, always has been but the rent a crowd who were damaging furniture, assaulting staff members had to go. Even the SU distanced themselves from the encampment in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭muzakfan

Thugs and property damage sound like a perfect fit for Palestine supporters.

None of their Arab neighbours want anything to do with them, but Irelands do-gooders and students know better of course. 😂

What, thats not what I said at all. It was specifically in relation to the UCD encampment and that a rent a crowd mob moved in who would have supported whoever was there just to get the chance to cause a bit of havoc, which sadly, heavily undermined the SU protest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭runswithascript

It is a shame if cancer research was affected but for me it is hard to justify, when I consider the war crimes, genocide, and illegal occupation by Israel, as far as I am concerned all links with Israel should be broken, with UCD and our state. I saw the chalk graffiti but I was not aware of furniture damage and staff assaults, and that the SU distanced themselves in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭runswithascript

Your meaning was clear. I wonder if these thugs were the same people involved in the Dublin riots?

• Advertisement

I suppose it's the hard thing to do. Not every Israeli represents the state of Israel, the same way not every Palestinian represents all of Palestine. Big overarching bans are needed in reaction to a pandemic or a state at war but as far as I could tell, Feelys refusal to cut ties with a private citizen donating independently to cancer research is understandable. The rent a crowd mob though, the racist comments towards security, they would have been pro Israel if it gave them an excuse for a bit of hassle.

Post edited by CramCycle on

Advertisement