Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

will made but how to locate

Options
  • 08-06-2024 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭

My mother has made a will and unfortunely she has demensia and not in a position to remember what solicitors it was.

We believe it was a solicitor in Drogheda but how to find out ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

It'll be a case of ringing around I'm afraid. You could also check with her bank in case she gave it for safekeeping.

Do you happen to know the witnesses as they might know?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,137 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I thought any solicitor would do a search for you, maybe I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

• Registered Users Posts: 9,137 ✭✭✭CoBo55

The OP didn't state whether money was a problem or not, I'm sure they'd be happy to pay to locate the will, I would if I was in that unfortunate position.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Kalimah

You’d usually get a copy of a will to take home when you make one- at least we did. Wonder is it worth having a root through the house?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

If you know roughly when she made the will you could check her bank statements for a payment (of the fee for drafting the will) to a firm of solicitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Solicitors won't deal with anyone other than their own client if the client is still alive. If I go to a solicitor and make a will, that solicitor owes me a duty of confidentiality and should not tell any randomer who calls her up that she has my will. In any case another solicitor might have a later will. Unless the testatrix gave power of attorney before getting developing the condition and that power of attorney has been invoked and provides that the attorney can handles such affairs there is nothing which can be done until the mother dies and then contact all local solicitors. It may be that there are phone records showing contact with a solicitor, the solicitor who acted in the past may have been involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

if the will was made reasonably recently & your mother has an email account, it may be in there, our copies were emailed to us a number of years back, may be worth a look

Advertisement