Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Find me a watch.

Options
  • 08-06-2024 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hi I'm looking to get myself a watch for my engagement but haven't a clue what to look for or even where to start. I’ve a relatively small wrist and my every day watch is a Garmin Instinct 2S which has a 40mm case and I wouldn’t want much bigger.

This watch will be for for good wear - weddings, nights out stuff like that. Budget approximately €500-800 also open to second hand watches if they can be brought from reputable sources.

Would anyone have any suggestions for good quality fairly stylish watches within that price range?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭davmigil

Pretty broad question, but here are a few ideas:

1. Something from Seiko Presage Cocktail line, have a look here for ideas: https://www.fields.ie/watches/seiko/presage/?cgid=watches-seiko-presage&start=0&sz=36
    2. If you are near Kildare Village have a look at Hamilton, Tissot, Mido and maybe Longines in Hour Passion Shop (outlet selling discontinued models etc). Also have a look at those brands online. Don't be pressurised into buying anything, always at least sleep on it before deciding.
    3. Dive deep down the rabbit hole and research vintage watches at that price point from the 1940s to 1960s, but be prepared to out in the time and then put in more time before parting with cash. Also budget for getting watch serviced.

Wait a while before buying anything, but do go into a jewellers and try on different styles of watches to get an idea of what you are looking for.

Watches in price point that might be worth a look: If you like 70s look: Tissot PRX (or Citizen Tsuyosa on less of a budget). Tissot and Frederic Constant do lots of classic/traditional looking watches.

If you want something a bit less mainstream there are many online brands which make very good watches that you don't see so often (e.g. Laco do pilot style watches, many models in your price range - have a look ) https://www.laco.de/en/index

• Registered Users Posts: 8,992 ✭✭✭893bet

Something from Stowa (prob an Ikarus).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

Stowa is a good shout, they are very keenly priced for a brand with such pedigree. The Ikarus is particularly versatile as dressy/casual watch. It's 40mm only though and lug to lug on them is longish.

What size is your wrist? I'd find the reduced Instinct small, it's a watch you can get away with on the large side, I have a regular Instinct 2 and my wrists are on the small side at 6.5 to 6.75" in warm weather. They are fairly flat and wide so can probably get away with slightly bigger than my wrist size would suggest. I have a 40mm Stowa Flieger and it's a very good fit.

The Flieger and Marines are available in 36mm. Lug to lug is 44.6mm vs 48.6mm on the 40mm You have me looking at Marines again! Tempted by a handwinder. Only thing that is slightly holding me back is the case shape is the same as my my Flieger just polished instead of brushed. Very different dial and hands though. 36mm would wear dressier for me though. Considering a lot of options though at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭jefferson73

I think this is decent value

860 amazon.de

• Registered Users Posts: 8,743 ✭✭✭micks_address

I've had a couple of Stowa Marine and they are lovely. I particularly like the 40mm hand wind unitas but Ive sold on two.. so go figure :) they can be hard to move on if you don't fall in love with them - especially in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Stowa is a good call IMHO….has a good rep and classic designs. That price point is a bit dangerous in the watch game, a lot of watches out there that cost that much, look good in photos, but are not not well regarded…stowa is the rare exception.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

If you do go down the vintage rabbit hole as davmigil suggested above concentrate on just one brand. It’s the best way to learn what is correct and what is a bitsa. Longines is one of the easier ones to learn about as they had chronological serial numbers up to about 1972. Just my 2 cents.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Advertisement