Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€1000 for a laptop

Options
  • 08-06-2024 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭

I never knew it was so hard to buy a laptop. My first two laptops, I walked in of the street and walked out with a laptop without knowing anything about CPU or GPU, RAM or anything else.

I will be using the laptop for everyday things, some light gaming and a little video editing.

I need a windows laptop preferably 14" screen because I don't like the larger laptops. I know there isn't much difference between a 14" or a 16" but 16" laptops have their track pad off centred. That just seems odd having your hands more towards one side of the keyboard.

After looking at CPU, GPU, RAM and SSD, I've narrowed down my search to three laptops all from Lenevo and the same type of laptop (ideapad pro 5, gen 9) but with different specs and different prices.

My first choice would be the intel core ultra 5 125H processor because I can choose which screen to buy and I can get an IPS screen which I would prefer. I can get a 2880 x 1800, IPS screen, anti glare, 400 nits, 120hz, low blue light. With 32 GB RAM and 1TB SSD for €1144.

The second option I have is an intel core ultra 7 155H processor. If I go for this, I can only get an OLED screen (2880x1800, glare, non touch, 400nits, 120hz). With 32GB RAM and 1TB SSD. For €993. I would have thought this would be a better device because of the processor but it costs less than the intel core 5?

My third option is the ideapad with AMD Ryzen 7 8845HS processor. With an OLED screen (2880x1800, glare, non touch, 400 nits, 120Hz). 32GB RAM and 1TB SSD.

So which is a better option? They all seem quite similar except the processor and screen type. Which is better? AMD or intel processor? Intel ultra 5 125H or intel ultra 7 155H? Even though I would prefer IPS, I might be able to get over the screen being an OLED because there's ways to avoid the burn in.

I'm also open to other suggestions for a laptop.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

Another laptop on my list is the Ideapad 5, 14", AMD but the 2-in-1 style.

I can get the same Ryzen 8845HS processor. With a 1900x1200 IPS touch screen. The only thing different is it's 16GB RAM and slight difference with the ports. The above options have thunderbolt 4 or a USB4. This 2-in-1 doesn't have that but just an extra usb-c.

All for a reasonable €663.

Is 16GB RAM enough? And I never really had a desire to bend my laptop. But then I've gotten so used to using my android tablet, that maybe I can get used to a bendy laptop.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

avoid the 2 in 1 style - they tend to be less reliable all round just because off what they are

there is not a lot off difference as you said and it is all about preferences on what you like

if your going to need a longer battery life and thats a big thing then id go amd, and ram tends to be faster speeds but that can cause a few more issues at times.

battery size is likely the same in most of them other than the 2 in 1

look at the full specs and choose which you would prefer really

maybe that 400 nits is a bit low for an oled screen is why its cheaper ?

I absolutely hate the pick and choose options on the Lenevo site. There's so much laptops, so much versions, so much operating systems, so much RAM, so much everything. In the end I couldn't get all the specs I wanted on one laptop ie a good processor, decent sized RAM, 1TB SSD with an IPS screen with good amount of ports. I could maybe get 3 or 4 but not all 5.

So I ended up going with my phone brand Xiaomi and bought a laptop online from China 😬.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

i have a poco phones , what laptop did u get after

Redmibook pro 14 2024. It seems like a good laptop with decent specs. You can get it from a European warehouse for 1349. But I came across a review from Germany where they ordered from China for 950. So I took a chance on it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement