Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Disability Allowance

Options
  • 08-06-2024 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

After nearly 10 years I am going to sign off disability allowance and begin working again. Can I ask am I allowed keep my medical card and free travel card for a period after I sign off. (My wage will be more than is acceptable to make me elgible). I am getting different opinions on google. How do I go about this ? I did read somewhere you can keep them for 3 years.

To sign off do I literally just write a letter and state I wish to come off Disability allowance ?

Thank you for any help/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,984 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

It's a very big decision to come off DA, are you aware you can work & keep DA albeit amount reduced to reflect income.

In relation to your questions,

You can keep your free Travel for 5 years but it's not very clear about the Medical Card. If unemployed & you have a Medical Card you can retain it for a year but I can't say what the situation is coming off, Disability Allowance, it's likely the same but do check this out, directly with the HSE.

As for signing off DA, yes a letter will suffice.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Advertisement