Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia - A40 - Does it work on a consumer motherboard?

Options
  • 08-06-2024 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭

Hello folks,

I am thinking of buying an Nvidia A40 for AI inference tasks and figured that I'd dump it into my workhorse machine at home however as the A40 is destined for the datacentre market I have started wondering if it will even work on a consumer motherboard.

Specification wise it seems fine, 300w power draw and PCIe 4 with an 8 pin power connector. It wouldn't be the boot GPU as I have a another dedicated card for that and this would only be for workloads. I have a nagging feeling that this card just wont work in my home server and I haven't been able to confirm conclusively one way or another.

Anyone have any input or experience with the Nvidia A40's?

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,244 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

It'll work fine, but you'd want lots of case airflow to cool it, as it's expecting the more forced airflow arrangement of a server.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

Thanks, it was pretty much what I was thinking. I've decided to go with the 6000 ADA, bit more expensive but at least I won't have to fiddle around with providing all the airflow.

Thanks again

Advertisement