Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hospital notes failing to get transferred

Options
  • 08-06-2024 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭

This affects many people all over the country who use private hospitals to speed up diagnostics when attending public hospital clinics. Here I will give my own case as an example. 

I attend Prof Tubridy’s MS Clinic at SVUH, staring last year. At my third, recent clinic attendance. I was told by the doctor that not one of the 4 image series had reached the clinic. The good Prof had ordered the MRIs directly from a nearby private hospital. I was informed the clinic that in order for a patient to be reviewed a set of MRI images needs to reach the clinic, this is the protocol to trigger a conference which evaluates a patient and assesses which treatment might be appropriate. 

There is no system whereby a delay or lack of transfer of image triggers a quest to get these images, this may only happen at a follow up visit 6 months to a year later. In the meantime time is lost for successful treatment.

I opened a thread on hospital communications before, but I hadn’t quite realised how this would directly impinge upon me. This must be happening to a lot of other people in other clinic scenarios, as the doctor said “when you attend other hospitals this kind of thing happens, there’s nots of people attending this clinic to whom exactly the same thing has happened.

It really should not be accepted. 

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

It's absolutely rampant and there's no excuse, it's been going on long before GDPR which seems to be the go to excuse these days..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭tohaltuwi

it’s an extremely serious issue, which by my experience, is fully acknowledged. However I’m not accepting it at all and am at the bottom end of a cacophony about it. I don’t have much energy as I’m not at all well but will do my best.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Another aspect to the problem, those in need of the easier/simpler/whatever method of information transfer are often the most I'll equipped to handle it due to the acknowledged health issues on their plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭tohaltuwi

the huge issue is that DATA IN from a private (?) hospital gets turned back as it is t compatible with system protocol. It doesn’t even flag up as “there. But rejected”. Things end up in black holes, where lots get flagging

Advertisement