Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retail Shops Closing who's next ??

Options
  • 09-06-2024 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

After Argos, the Body Shop, Debenhams closing down in Ireland which chain shops do we think will be next ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭some random drunk

Next

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

If I had to pick the next Nobel in the social media category, it would be some random drunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

i think easons. years ago their shops were hopping busy, people everywhere buying books and magazines and cards. now they are nearly empty. staff levels are very low in the few i have been in locally, magazine and book selection is tiny compared to years ago, the cards are crazy expensive and the rest of the shop is fancy presents that nobody buys

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭SodiumCooled

what about school books? I remember school books being such a big thing there was dedicated shops - would Easons still be doing a good trade in them though I know in primary anyway book schemes are a big thing. Stationary and all that stuff too is still used plenty but books and magazines definitely wouldn’t.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Ah, the Body Shop never stood a chance after they cut off the head-shops...

• Advertisement

i can only comment on my local easons. they never got the big share of the school books. local shop got that through the school contracts. parents bought the books from the school or through the school and some school had a rental schemes. stationery was the same but easons got the middle class or posh kids parent buying them stuff. but easons and the local shop are doing very little of that. a relation of mine worked in a local shcool and said in the last few years the local places are gone way to dear and all the parents are going online and the school themselves have gone a lot further a feild to get better value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭JVince

Easons had a very health profit of €4.4m last year from their retail operations.

The retailers that have closed here are mostly UK retailers where the issues were UK led or internationally led and the Irish stores were simply lumped into it.

The other reason stores/chains close is they become less relevant. But new stores come through and replace them. Retail evolves.

Currently there are several international chains looking at opening in Ireland. Sometimes they will wait until 3 or 4 units in suitable locations become available. Centre managers know this and can put someone like Trespass into a unit for a short period until the longer term retailer is ready to move

what easons selll is rapidly becomeing obsolete. newspaper, magazines etc are nearly a thing of the past. the cards they sell are way more expensive that other shops . the stationary is way more expensive than on line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭JVince

Easons main sales are books and sales of phsysical books have continued to increase. Margins on magazines and papers were always dreadful and when they were popular they were used as a tool to drive traffic into a store.

A €20 book will have more profit than 10 newspapers.

Like any good retailer, they will continue to evolve and I suspect they will move into the food-to-go market at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,714 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Superdry would be my guess. They always look quiet, their clothing seems very dated at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Markd518

Yeah definitely always very quiet and they are restructuring in the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭C3PO

Like Superdry, Abercrombie are no longer cool … I wouldn’t be surprised to see them having difficulties!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Markd518

Abercrombie have no physical store left in Ireland they closed soon after covid I think only Hollister left now.

Advertisement