Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low turnout at polling stations.

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭theValheru853

If that is being directed at myself trying to bring the legitimacy of the election into dispute....well maybe, as the question I posted has crossed my mind, however, if you check my profile you will see I'm not that new a poster.....I just don't post that often. Generally only if I have a question or an opinion that I would like to see what others think of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,053 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Imma call nonsense on a polling station being closed early.

One scenario re. postal voting that isn't addressed is people who are away on a holiday. The dates of an election tend to be announced within a few weeks of the election itself, whereas most people book a holiday months or more in advance. My friend was away last week for instance, wanted to vote but couldn't (I know that the local/European elections are more fixed dates, but point still holds)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

You can't find out where this mysterious polling center is? 😊

True, I might actually ask him next time we are both on shift together. Won't be for another couple weeks though. Other side of the coin is do I really want to draw him on me, if you know what I mean.

• Administrators Posts: 14,071 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

He said tgat was about 9 pm, 

Sounds fairly specific! Unspecified polling station at an approximate time. I'm guessing it didn't happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,004 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Is there any chance they went to a former location and found it closed; cause it had never opened to begin with? Polling stations do move.

Only island polling stations will have closed before 10. If one not on an island had closed early, we would have heard about it and there would be legal challenges in from whoever ran in that area, and came close but didn't get in.

Well, he was pretty adamant about it being around 9pm mark, because he was saying his wife went to vote after she finished work. As to it being earlier open in the day, I would think that he would have voted at the same polling station himself so would have known it was open. As I have previously said, he is from Shannon, so I would presume it was one of the Shannon polling stations, so that narrows it down to a pretty specific area

Anyone else on here from Shannon that can maybe throw light on it. As I said earlier, I won't be on shift with him again for a few weeks.

Advertisement