Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emmanuel Macron dissolves French parliament and calls snap elections

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,500 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

He hadn't got any choice really

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,860 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Maybe I should stall on applying for that job in Gascony.

Seriously though, I think he's hoping to nip it in the bud with a short election period to catch the RN unprepared. Interesting times.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

EU election must have shook him if he doesn't want to wait.

The last election was 2022 and they've a 5 year term max.

June 30 and July 7, 3 weeks for first round that's soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

A carnival of reaction against the surge for Marine and the French working class.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Looks like the potential end of the EU project. Moves to far right parties in both France and Germany does not bode well for the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭greenfield21

What a gift to the far right from Macron, still three years left on term too, surely beat option could have trundled along..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,651 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

A call for an election is not the end of the EU…Christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,683 ✭✭✭brickster69

Sounds like another W for the conspiracy theorists

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭Augme

A large growth in support for Marie Le Penn is becusse they've admitted leaving the EU isn't a runner and isn't what French people want.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,412 ✭✭✭Shoog

Despite all their rhetoric the hard right parties have no interest in leaving the EU. This was demonstrated amply when Brexit happned every one of them shut up about leaving the EU. What they want is an EU with less rights to interfere in domestic human rights legislation and boarder control, which they will push for from with the EU. If the EU cannot cope with this then it doesn't deserve to survive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

Newstalk only slagging off Le Pen last week as finished. The cope on the likes of Shane Coleman tomorrow is going to be epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,375 ✭✭✭archfi

'Les tallies' must be monumentally shyte for President Neoliberal.

While our lot have repeated over the weekend that the EU elections are 'second order' elections, the French political set believe the opposite.

But then again, they along with Germany run the thing so they'd probably actually know.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Economically Le Pen is well to the left, but reflects working class social views, which is where she really differs from the left.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

As someone who lives amongst them (my neighbours voted 44% for the Front National [yeah, a change of name doesn't make them any different] and the region where I most frequently work gave them 56% of the vote) all I can say is they're all bred from the same thick-eejit MAGA and Brexiter stock. Everything they complain about on a local level is something that's within their power to change, but instead of voting for the guy (or girl) who promises to do something radical to change it, they vote for candidate that promises a return to the glories of the stone age. Then they complain that they didn't get what they were promised, so vote for him again because it's a vote against "the System", "the elite", "the immigrants".

I reckon Macron is following the advice of my aged artist friend and laying down the challenge: "you think the Far Right would be good for France? Fine - vote them in and let's see what happens". And d'you know what? I think it's a good move. I'd happily put up with 5 (4 … 3 … 2 years) of having the FN in government fecking up the country if it meant that they were thoroughly destroyed at the election after that. But then again I'm one of those much despised economic migrants that came over and took their houses and jobs. :-p

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭highpitcheric

I cant see the reintroduction of trade borders. Or the return of 27 different currencies.

So what exactly is the end supposed to look like?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,268 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Euro football Championships and Olympics on as well. Poor Frenchies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭ForestFire

As someone else said, he had 3 years left in Office.

Why call an election now when your opposition is on the crest of a wave?

I know some will say the public sent a message, but there is no onus to call an election.

At least limp along for 6-12 months, and try to turn the support before going into a game of Jeopardy ??

You are an EU citizen im guessing. It's not EU citizens they are having massive problems with. Parts of their big cities have turned into shanty towns and no go areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Should put off a few of the planned strikes at the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,069 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Are they maybe afraid that leaving it longer could lead to LePen getting enough traction to form a government on her own? If I'm not mistaken historically FN's issue was that no other French Party would openly support them when they were on the second round.

A gamble anyway to call an election. I think though this was coming for a few years now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,412 ✭✭✭Shoog

The neo-liberal dream has run it's course, all the silver has been sold off and the bills have come due. People are scrambling for an alternative and the fascit have been laying the groundwork for a comeback for over a decade so they have filled the void.

The poor suckers will regret it when they start talking of culling the useless feeders and they realise it was them all along who were the target.

Stupidity is infinite.

Yeah, and d'you know what - they're almost exclusively populated by French citizens. Of course they're the "wrong kind" of French - wrong colour, wrong religion, wrong name, whatever; but they're a hell of a lot more French than I am.

Same bigotry from the same short-sighted xenophobes - Irish, British, French, German, American …

• Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

This isn’t a presidential election as some elsewhere seem to think.

In the first round of the presidential election in 2022 le pen scraped in just 1.2% ahead of melenchon

An interesting facet of these results is what we're also seeing happen in GB: the traditional right, in chasing marginal Far-Right voters have shot themselves in both feet and the head. Where the left-of-centre PS was almost wiped out two elections ago, they've come in a tight third, less than 1% point behind the governing centrists. On the other hand, the traditional Right (of centre) have been relegated to 5th place. No-one wants a "Far Right Light", nor do they want a "Righter-than-Before" party. Going by the shambolic campaigning so far "across the water" it wouldn't surprise me to see the same fate befall the Tories.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭Augme

And he'll still have three years left in office.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I think they know the EU won't survive if there's a north/south divide on migration.

If they can't directly campaign on leaving the EU, next best is to split it by other means. The migration pact was already a huge concession to the far-right but see how they turn on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭gral6

Now, it is beginning of the end of EU. Well done to Putin and Orban.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭ForestFire

If he has 3 years now how can he have 3 years in 6 months to 12 months?

….and the point is to stay in office until an election looks more favourable to his party, if possible.

• Advertisement

Putin or Orban have nothing to do with it. Merkel let millions of Muslims into Germany alone a few years back France also people are fed up with it. A lurch to the right is an inevitable consequence that's why politics need balance and not the garbage we've seen over the last decade or more.

Advertisement