Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lease agreement clause on time vacant

Options
  • 09-06-2024 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hi,

I was speaking to a friend today who has received a lease agreement stating they cannot leave the property vacant for more than 30 days. As they're not from Ireland they had intended to go home for a period of a month and a half which would breach this condition. Is this a typical lease condition? Is it enforceable? I appreciate it may be difficult for the LL to ascertain and track but obviously said friend doesn't want to test the situation and is wondering if such a clause is legitimate. Would appreciate any insight.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,913 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Most insurance companies require to be notified if a property is to be empty for more than 30 days, and many will ask for the water tanks to be emptied etc (takes a plumber about 2 hours to do all that's required).

Most landlords would want to avoid that.

One solution is to ask a trusted friend (who has some reason to need short term accommodation) to stay for a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Sparkling Gamorreans

Thanks, Mrs OBumble, that's really helpful. I checked back on an old lease of mine from 2009 and I see I had the same clause so I assume it's typical and the rationale around the home insurance makes sense.

Advertisement