Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cycling holiday in belgium

Options
  • 09-06-2024 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭

headig to belgium the week after next to antwerp..anybody recommend some cycling routes to do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

What distance are you looking for? Are you looking at cycling directly from your hotel or travelling a bit?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭thebourke

proably about 60 to 80k…cycling from hotel

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

The issue with Antwerp area is that it is pan-flat.

You can go towards the Dutch coast on the north / north east around Zeeland (Terneuzen, Cadzand - with a trip towards Sluis and Damme if you can fit it in - fantastic canal paths which were used in the WC TT 2021, then take a ferry from Breskens to Vlissingen, up towards Middleburg & back). Cycling infrastructure is fantastic there but it can be windy. I would definitely try to make sure you have the wind in your back on the way home which isn't easy.

Other option would be to take the train to Brussels (45 mins or so) and from Brussels go to Leuven, Mechelen, Antwerp. From Brussels to Leuven you can take in some of the hills from the 2021 World Championships and the Brabantse Pijl, then there are canal paths almost all the way to Antwerp from Leuven. I think you could do this in 90-100k, but the second half would be pan flat, almost traffic free and ideally with a tailwind.

I don't know the eastern side of Antwerp at all, and going west you get towards Gent / Oudenaarde (towards Tour of Flanders land) but I think it might be a bit of a long, boring ride to leave from Antwerp

You can either look for routes on Komoot, or build your own using this website (I would still download to gps as following signs can be tricky) https://www.fietsnet.be/routeplanner/default.aspx

Advertisement