Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Renovation cost - link included

• 09-06-2024 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/22-hawthorn-terrace-east-wall-dublin-3/4703680

I am wondering what would be the rough (very rough obviously) cost of renovating a place of this size in this condition.

I have seen people quote anywhere from 1500-3500 per sq metre, but I am not sure if those recommedations are for a place that is completely falling down, or a place that just needs cosmetic renovations like this place (presumably).

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Having looked at the photos, I'd be cautious in thinking that this place just needs a cosmetic job to bring it up to a near-recently acceptable levels of comfort. That extension comprises a pitched-roof 2 storey extension as well as a flat portion (see it on Google Maps) and it's for sale for at least a year. There is indication of leakage or flooding there too. I'd be thinking that it's in need of the higher level of investment per M^sq. Ask them to knock 150k off it and I think you'll be cookin'.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭DonnieCorko

Thank you for the reply.

Yep I noticed the leakage. Might just be loose tiles though no?

The floors have a weird bounce/cushion to them so I suspect the floor might be quite uneven.

I was also thinking of perhaps rejigging the location of the bathroom/kitchen so would need to dig up the floor to move pipes.

Given that, is 1500-3500 per sq meter within the range or is digging up the floor going to make it cost way more?

My plan roughly is to convert the front bedroom to an en-suite bedroom, and the second bedroom to a type of studio flat, with the kitchen in the large en-suite that exists currently, and a small en-suite in the bedrooms current area as its very large. Live in this mostly while getting funds to do the rest of the house. I reckon I could probably make 10k per year off the front bedroom if I leased it out and then did work when I had the money in the rest of the house.

I know it went sale agreed twice and fell through. Not sure why but I did ask yesterday. I believe it went sale agreed for 370k the first time.

Essentially, I can see a lot of potential to turn the two front bedrooms into studios that could be rented out and provide an income, once the back part of the house is completed. I wouldn't be considering a fully renovation job otherwise so there is a big upside to this place in my particular case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Jesus Christ, what's the big attraction in East Wall?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Perks

I wouldn't presume anything(costemtic renovations) in the Irish Property Market. It's a buyer beware market. Flippers and agents know so many tricks to off properties. At a quick glance it looks pretty water damaged. The bouncy flooring you speak off could be close to fullly rotting joists.

BTW "a loose tile" is the dream. Years of damage to woodwork and mortar from poor ridge tiles and bad roof drainage is the more common. Guessing you did not look up into the attic space with a high powered torch.

Paying 300+ for a structural survey is where I would go next. You have got vision.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the reply.

A structural survey would just check for issues like subsidence etc, am I right?

It wouldn't state stuff like new roof needed, rotting joists etc?

Is there any service available like a builder who would come and give you a rough overview of costs to do whatever work I have done for a fee? Ive heard its impossible to get a contractor to view the place before buying, but does anyone do this for a fee?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Perks

Getting a structural survey done for the first time is a real eye opener and learning curve and an absolute must.

Everything will be listed for you. How the house was born and the state it's in now, what it's made of, expected lifespans etc, planning premission/issues, etc.

That is the first step.

Great thanks very much!

Advertisement