Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have return USA flight booked for next year - want to change outgoing flight

• 10-06-2024 9:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭

I have a return Dub-USA flight next year and wanted to look at possibilities for changing the outgoing flight. I see there's a €100 change fee which I will have to live with.

But when I go online to manage booking, it only allows me change the date of travel - impossible to change destination (or departure airport for that matter).

Is this normal - need to ring for this? Their FAQ simply say go to "change flights"….

https://www.aerlingus.com/support/booking-flexibility/changing-your-booking/

"If your booking was made on aerlingus.com, you can change the travel dates, times, destination or upgrade your fare type via our Manage Trip facility."

Post edited by Tenger on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

So…contrary to their website ("If your booking was made on aerlingus.com, you can change the travel dates, times, destination or upgrade your fare type via our Manage Trip facility."), their whatsapp chat service told me:

"Please be advised that changes can only be made to the date/time of departure online, not the origin or destination.
    If you would like to make a change to the destination airport, as this will require a payment. please phone our agents , you will find the correct contact number for your location on our website here…
    "

Anyone know the consequences of simply not going on the outward journey, only coming back - I know Aer Lingus say something about potential fees but in practice - would I face an issue boarding in the USA coming back, having not gone out with them? (I'll already be in the USA hence this question).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,200 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

If you want to change the destination you need to call and this can be done over the phone easily. There are complexities around airport charges and other 'hidden' fees which require a human. I've done this several times and never a problem.

If you fail to show up for the outbound leg, the return will be cancelled and you forfeit the ticket. Tickets are priced as a return not the sum of two singles.

Call and get the change made, best case it costs you €100 (no refund if the new flight is cheaper than the original), but its hard to see any other option which would be cheaper.

Thanks @goingnowhere

Wow, I would have thought there would be people that missed departures (e.g. just being late etc.) that would have ended up booking alternative departures and not spared a thought about their return flight - and Aer Lingus would prevent them boarding on the return - yikes!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Not just Aer Lingus, it is standard practice for most legacy airlines.

Its in the T&C's and applies in virtually all long haul flights globally and some short haul. There is some weird legacy stuff like staying a Saturday night etc which result in lower prices.

Ryanair, Easyjet, Wizz etc operate on two singles. Aer Lingus normally operates on two singles on European routes (but not always…)

If you fail to show up for the outbound you would have to pay the difference between the price paid the value of a single ticket at todays prices

See below for how this strange pricing works, first is a single ticket DUB-SFO, second is the price shown for DUB-SFO when booking a return…

• Advertisement

Thanks @goingnowhere

I rang them and tried to change the outbound to a UK destination and they said only US destination. Mad at this as I think I was able to do this before.

Can't change country only airport

So if you booked DUB-SFO-DUB and wanted to do DUB-LAS and SFO-DUB thats no problem by phone to change the ticket

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Change fee plus possible fare difference will apply.

Just to update, as others have said, fine to change airport (once it's still in the USA) and departure date.

However - not possible on website, only on phone.

Here's the thing - the website states €100 change fee when done online. But not able to do it online.

Rang them - €140 change fee. Argued they couldn't charge €140 telephone change fee when online is only €100, except that it won't let you. They agreed to charge €100 fee.

Advertisement