Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike cleaning

Options
  • 10-06-2024 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Apologies if there's an existing thread on this but what is the way fellow Boards cyclists keep their machine clean after dirty spins? I was wondering if there are any mini power washers out there that would be handy for bike cleaning?

Would there be any do's and don't's when it comes to cleaning and maintenance thereafter?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Don't use a power washer would be the no.1 toptip!

Here a good video about bike cleaning:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Is that the sound of a can of worms being opened??

The Mobi electric pressure washer is great - runs off a car battery. Really only use it for CX - a standard garden hose with adjustable nozzle is more than adequate for the road bike. If you are using a bike specific power washer, or a garden hose with a high pressure, spray from a distance when using anywhere near cranks, rear mech etc to avoid stripping grease from bearings.

I avoid any of the spray on degreasers (even the bike specific ones) for the same reason. Decathlon do an amazing biodegradable liquid degreaser which I use for the chain. I don't see the need for degreaser anywhere else on the bike.

I'm a fan of spray on lubricants (eg GT50) for areas where water might get trapped, and for moving parts.

I don't bother with wet lube on the chain. Dry lube or wax lube for me.

Some people swear by chain wax (the proper version)… I've no doubt it works, but I couldn't be bothered (or trust myself to get it right) with the faff, and I quite enjoy cleaning the bike and drivetrain anyway.

Keep it simple is my top tip - probably only need a few products (lube/ degreaser/ pre-wash spray/ bike wash liquid) and a few utensils (sponge, brush and chain cleaner - I find the Fenicks chain-specific cleaning sponge the best for the job).

The simpler you keep it, the easier it is to develop a routine, the quicker the process and generally the more enjoyable/ less annoying the job.

TLDR; don't inadvertently destroy your bearings unless you like spending money!

A bit like watering plants - an incorrectly and overly cleaned bike is probably doing as much damage to the components as an under-cleaned bike. I just happen to love the sound of a silky smooth drivetrain!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Yep. Degreaser and brush on chain (maybe a run of the chain bath)

Then knock the worst off the bike with a hose.

Rub of warm soapy water especially wheels. Hose down.

GT85 on everything that moves (avoiding wheels), rub off with rag.

Leave to dry. Dry lube on chain or GT85 and wipe off.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

You recommend dry lube only and say you like the sound of a silky smooth drivetrain. Dry lube won't last more than an hour or two on a wet ride and from then on you'll have to listen to a noisy drivetrain.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,771 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Hold my beer, there are multiple cans of worms being opened.

Nothing wrong with power washers, not bothered myself most of the time, although we have a great fire house in work I use after a particularly dirty day but unless the power washer is industrial strength and you are targeting areas to try and ruin them, it is absolutely fine.

Next, nothing wrong with dry lube, even in wet weather, just needs to be reapplied more often. I try to wax but, much like bike cleaning, I am too tired most of the time so have switched to the drip on wax lube most of the time. Nothing wrong with wet lube either except it makes cleaning your bike a pain in the hols as most of them tend to gunk up and attract sh1te, so I'd rather apply often than have to clean regularly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭Bambaata

I find it pretty easy with waxed chain, use quick links, take chain off, rub through microfibre colt and set aside. The i just use a sponge and some soap to wash bike all oer and dry off with microfibre cloth, put chain back on and put on drip wax (Silca). Prib takes me max 15-20mins. If ive already used the drip wax a few times i set that chain aside (ensuring its dry) and put a fresh waxed chain on, once i have about 3 chains ready for waxing i do the lot in one go (takes no more than 15mins)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Yeah, works for me. I have wet lube at home - if the conditions call for it I might stick it on, but it would be a functional call rather than hoping to hear the sound of a smooth chain over the wind, rain and road spray.

I give the drivetrain a clean after every spin (less in the summer in fairness, depending on mileage) so it gets cleaned, dried and re-lubed straight away. Dry lube works for me no hassle 90% of the time. Have never had an issue with excessive chain wear. I just can't be arsed dealing with cleaning a wet-lubed drivetrain.

I do love a can of worms 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭fiacha

I use a cheap garden pressure spray bottle to cover the bike with cleaning solution. Let it sit in the shade for 10 minutes then wash down with the garden hose. Use sponge / brush to detail everything, another quick rinse and then into the sun / wind to dry. Chain, sprocket and crankset get a bit of degreaser if needed and chain re-lubed with Fenwicks all conditions lube. I'm in the habit of wiping off the drivetrain after every spin, so it never gets too grubby.

Little bit of GT85 into any nooks and crannies to get water out.

Rims and brake blocks get a wipe down with alcohol to get any stray oil off.

99% of my rides are on singlespeed, so it's a fairly quick process compared to the geared MTB which I hate cleaning the drivetrain on.

I keep meaning to buy some car detailing wax to keep the frame spiffy but haven't gotten around to it.

Advertisement