Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair - Backpack carry on bag size Q ?

• 10-06-2024 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭

just wondering, has anyone had a backpack refused by ryanair yet ?

im not talking about a 10 man tent rolled to the size of a small sofa like we've all seen strapped to ppl.

RYANAIR spec is 40x20x25 cms , ive a backpack slightly larger at 50x35x13 cms.

Ive not used this particular bag before. It doesnt roll down, its kind of soft shell shape. This backpack serves a function i need for onward travel for the place im headed to, standard backpack is no good.

anyone had any issues?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,757 ✭✭✭Trampas

I’d say it could come down to how busy the flight is and who’s on the gate. If you walked up the desk would it be stick out all over the place behind you? I’ve seen people getting pulled because the bag looks big. You could be asked to put the bag at your feet for the flight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,691 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

no, have brought the Canterbury Irish rugby bag a few times (which I'd call a fairly large backpack).. no issues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,504 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I've brought all sorts of bags of odd shapes and sizes onto Ryanair planes with never a question asked.

But I did see a gate staff member go totally jobsworth recently coming back through Faro - he pulled a man ahead of me in the queue with a tiny wheelie suitcase, brought it to the measuring cage, it didn't fit by about 2cm, he was made check it in and pay (I'm not sure how much but he really didn't look pleased).

So if you meet the wrong staff member, or maybe the plane is stuffed full and they're afraid they'll run out of overhead space, you could get done.

But you'll still have your bag, you'll just get stung for an extra charge for it. A gamble well worth taking IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Banzai600

tks OP.

I kinda figured id be ok, but wanted to be sure. a gamble, but it should be small enough visualy not to cause a stir. its a specific motorbike backpack, so need it when i get to europe. cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I was on a Ryanair flight in march where every single bag was size checked. You may be fine, you may not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,204 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Same thing happened to me last month. I had a Helly Hansen 'Stockholm' rolltop backpack like this.

https://www.hellyhansen.com/en_ie/stockholm-backpack-67187

The check in guy stopped me and told me to put my bag in the sizing box thing. It was a bit too tall.

Had to take a jacket and a hoody out of the bag, put them on, roll the bag down extremely tight and then it fit.

Went through the gate. Put the coat and hoody back in my bag.

Fairly handy feature of rolltop backpacks come to think of it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I was in the priority line with a roll on case. It fit at second attempt, I didn't line it up properly first time. The main problem was waiting for them to then check everyone else's bag.

Advertisement