Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adverts Tradesman - Deposit paid - Job cancelled by trademans - no return of deposit yet

Options
  • 10-06-2024 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hello

Earlier this year I contacted a tradesman from Adverts to do some work in my apartment (3000 euros worth). The tradesman I contacted came out to inspect the job and then provided a written quote, and advised he needed a deposit of 600 euros to purchase materials.

I paid the deposit via revolut of 600 euros.

A week before the job started, he contacted me to advise he had made an error on the invoice and was seeking an additional 500 euros of payment for the work. Have gave me the option of moving forward with work at increased costs or that he would refund me my deposit. I agreed to the deposit being returned.

After multiple contacts and months later (I have all email and text messages), my deposit still hasn't been returned. Most recently, the tradesman advised me that he had a bad fall and would be out of work for a while.

The invoice I received didn't list an address but gave a PPSN number, phone details, etc.

At this stage, I am considering informing Adverts, and Revolut of my experience.

I'm seeking to hear how others who have had similar situations have had them resolved and what steps I should take when moving forward such as Is it worthwhile pursuing via the small claims court?, if I go this route should I report to the Guards also?

If posters would prefer to reply by pm that's fine

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,476 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Not a matter for the guards, I think, unless there is evidence to suggest that the tradesman was dishonest, rather than mistaken, in issuing the quote. (E.g. if you've found he has done this systematically to lots of people.)

In this situation, the small claims process in the District Court is your best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 PatMurphy021987

Many thanks, looking at the small claims process now.

I dont want to leave negative feedback on their profile, but at this stage, I am concerned it has / could be done in the future to others. Would there be any issue if I left feedback along the lines of "AVOID - Deposit paid - Job canceled at last minute by tradesmen - no sign of deposit being returned after 4 plus months".

Im also considering advising him of the following

"I will be making a small courts claim for the deposit amount plus any fees incurred this Friday, along with informing Adverts, Revolut, and Revenue of our interaction. You can prevent this by returning my deposit in full by the date". I plan to set this by text.

Thanks again

Post edited by PatMurphy021987 on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Augme

Threaten to go to the gardas if he doesn't pay up and give him a two week deadline. If he doesn't pay up go to the Garda. It's absolutely matter for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭10-10-20

A long as you're stating the facts, I don't see an issue. At the end of the day he didn't uphold his part of the agreement, and he depends on honest feedback for future business, so there's no problem in this case leaving that honest feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Murt10

As you paid by Revolut, ie a Visa or Master Card, are the issuing bank (Revolut), not equally liable with the service provider for the non delivery of goods and services, the same as Credit Card companies are.

EDIT. Here you go. https://www.ccpc.ie/consumers/money/credit-cards/disputed-card-transactions-chargeback/

You should contact the supplier first and ask for a refund. If the supplier will not refund your money and you paid using a credit or debit card, your card provider – usually your bank – may agree to reverse the transaction. This is called a chargeback.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭kirving

I think that could be seen as threatening or blackmail - in that right now you have a contract dispute. (I know, it's theft in my book too, but since you have his details, the Gardai wouldn't entertain a theft investigation.

Him having a fall (it it actually happened at all), has nothing to do with you.

I know it's very selfish too - but a bad review at this this stage may limit his future income - and payment to you. Wait until after you get your money, or if you feel all hope is lost, before leaving a bad review.

Advertisement