Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The decline of SF?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

No surprise that Stanley supported Gemma, she is the wife of Brian Stanley, well-known conspiracy theorist.

SF like to keep it in the family with the Stanleys not the only example of TD husband, Councillor wife doing the rounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,422 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

SF like to keep it in the family

As do your party blanch. Catherine Martin and her husband?

Pippa Hackett , co-opted her hubbie into her seat, her son tried to get into the family biz too.
    Not to mention FG, Olwyn Enright, daughter of Senator T. Enwright and married to TD Joe McHugh.

Then you have the Kitts, and the Lenihan family dynasty? Des O'Malley and his daughter? Cathal Coughlan and his daughter Mary? The Harte and Blaney dynasties?

On it goes but SF are 'exceptional' as per usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

And Mullins is of similar cloth; but also has views that most parties would throw you out for expressing

I've seen some of his hate stuff on Twitter, seems obsessed with immigration. He is one of the "I'm not a racist, but…." crowd.

Google throws up one tweet on transgender issues that caused controversy.
    Any examples of these 'hate' tweets?

• Advertisement

"Because of the UK's Rwanda Bill over 80% of so-called Asylum Seekers are now coming here from the UK, a safe country. We can refuse these asylum applicants, the vast majority are economic migrants and stop putting them up in hotels with food and free medical cards. Insanity."

This is one of his tweets from earlier this year. Dog-whistling to the racists. Clear example of the "I'm not a racist, but…" Could also be classified as one of the "I'm not far-right, but……."

No need to deflect to what others are saying, whether that be councillors, TDs or Ministers. The question is whether, you, as a SF supporter and apologist, are happy with this type of dog-whistling. If you have no problem with it, fair enough, but you wouldn't see this type of stuff from real left-wing parties like Labour, SDs or the Greens.

Yeh, that last year FG style labelling. Anyone voiced a concern it was racist and dog whistling.
    Simon wasn’t long switching to the right when he got in, accepting many of the concerns.
    There is no hate in the tweet blanch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

I no longer use Twitter, but when I did SF had some proper fruitcakes on it. A lad named Sean Marlow, a lad running for the council named Enda Fanning, that Browne lad from Tipperary, the lad from Leitrim with a bad handle on basic maths etc.

They would want to be decommissioned to be honest.

And another one:

Post edited by Bobson Dugnutt on

If we’re gonna judge political party offerings on the antics of councillors we’d have hours of fun.
    Monaghan alone would offer some fun on it’s own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭pureza

Correct,there isn't

Threads like this one and the FG one are only being bumped now by the rival 3 or 4 posters one upping each other,making a mockery of this once venerable discussion forum and worse immune to how silly they look

Also not alone is that tweet not abusive,the tweet is only speaking the truth

Most of these migrants are schooled now to say they're from Gaza having either come via the north or flushed their passport down the loo of a ryanair plane from luton

• Advertisement

You are wrong, the tweet is a clear example of dog-whistling. It is making claims that are untrue and playing to the gallery.

Firstly, the 80% figure is based on the numbers presenting for the first time at the International Protection Office, rather than at ports and airports (Micheal Martin explained this but it wasn't listened to). The Irish Refugee Council says that this does not mean that they have all entered via the UK or that they stayed any length in the UK.

Secondly, the tweet gives the impression that "we can refuse these asylum applicants" as if that is something that we are not doing. We are refusing asylum applicants, but only after due process as required under our international obligations. We could speed up the refusal process with more resources at huge expense, but we cannot refuse them on entry as the tweet implies.

Thirdly, the claim is made, with zero evidence, that the vast majority are economic migrants. That SF troll tweeting it has no access to any data to verify that claim.

Fourthly, given that people are having to live in tents his claim that we are "putting them up in hotels with food" is also another dog-whistling untruth.

The tweet could easily have come from a representative of II.

It's 'dogwhistling' because you need an excuse to ignore concerns. As said, this was the policy of government a year ago. It's now wholly redundant as finally Harris has been forced into talking about action even if it is as yet unclear if action has been taken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭maccored

what are you talking about? Brian's married to Caroline. Need a hand removing that foot from your mouth?

you really shouldnt talk about people you dont know. Aiden's a decent fella and Laois people vote for him at every election he enters. Boards really needs to come down on this bullshitting - thats a comment and viewpoint, not an attempt at backseat moderating btw. There's lads in this thread that could get themselves sued for spreading false information and slander

Eh, yes, Caroline is married to Brian (one of the leading conspiracy theorists in SF) so no surprise that Caroline supported Gemma, that is what my post said.

I have quoted directly from his own tweet and explained why I believe it is tantamount to dog-whistling racism, pointing out where it is inaccurate and misleading.

i dont care what you believe., i know the man and you are very very incorrect.

I believe 

…is doing a lot of work.
    It's a dogwhistle BTW to claim that SF are exceptional in having husband/wife teams involved in politics or are exceptional in 'keeping it in the family' and then blithely ignore a post that contradicts you. It's been a common trait across Irish politics for decades.

I'm neither wrong about the tweet which is fair comment and I'm not wrong about the passports being flushed down the toilet on Ryanair planes either

O'Leary has documented that latter one as he is being fined for passengers that had a passport when boarding but have none once they arrive at the immigration counter

A little common sense in posting here would be handy rather than a rush to tit tatting

Fair debate like

• Advertisement

There is no room for rational debate in politics when politicians like him are tweeting 80% of their stuff about immigration and a lot of it is lies.

I am all for common sense, but the posting of lies like "we can refuse them" implying that we can turn them away straight away does not help on the immigration issue. The hypocrisy of then claiming to be left-wing from the same party sources is nauseating.

They can be refused if they're from a safe country

At least from late next year,all 'legal' non EU citizen entrants to the EU will be finger printed meaning if they choose the tourist route in,they'll be caught

Slowly but surely this migration problem is being confronted

So no need for the hysterical tweets from the dog-whistling SF councillor.

If we ranted on threads about the tweets of councillors the site would grind to a halt

We will see a bounce in SF support at the next opinion poll with their refugee's only in places that can handle them policy

The current kamikaze carry on in the government parties over the land hoarding tax will sèe their support drop

The SF support will continue to rise and rise in the heat of an election campaign.

Meanwhile more government party bickering will lead to a big fall in their support.

Simon Harris has run out of steam amidst a growing lack of cohesion in government,it's undoing.

Or he is orchestrating a government collapse? Seems to be very vocal about others around the cabinet table and issuing orders.

It is August, silly season for politics.

You have identified two issues that will help SF, however, there are a long list of issues from the lack of leadership, the paucity of talent, the inability to coherently and cogently present policies etc., that will act in the opposite direction. Hard to know which will prevail. As I said in a previous post, there is still time for SF to get its act together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

I wonder if the leadership are still thinking about replacing Mary Lou, or are they going to stick with her? She’d want to sharpen up on her interview and debating skills for a start. Being slightly smug and condescending as she peers out over her glasses isn’t going to cut it anymore.

Probably a bit late to replace her at this stage. Replace her with whom as well? Shouter Doherty. Nah.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭mattser

• Advertisement

The electorate SF are after aren't over analyising the skills of T.D's in the way you are,their target audience will hear them on not letting single male blacks into their estates and the stupid zoning row is an open goal,a sign of things to come with government parties cohesion imploding

Advertisement