Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The decline of SF?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Gary_dunne

Where is the proof that it rises quicker under a FFG government than under a SF coalition government? There isn't any as we've been stuck with the same two parties for the past 3 decades who have allowed the housing crisis to get to the state that it is in.

We are building more than previous failures of governments it isn't enough and these new builds starting at 500k+ isn't solving any issues just allowing cash rich buyers and investment funds to purchase the available stock. The vast majority of new constructions last year, while at a high, didn't go on the market to general buyers.

And it is happening faster than it would if SF were in power.

This cannot be stated as a fact when it is an unknown quantity.

All have a part to play however the Government and the past 30 years of FF/FG/FFG governments have overseen this and allowed the crisis to occur without the incentive to change it as they just share power every 4/5 years and have the majority vote (homeowners).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

70% of the population own homes, it is not like we have a huge majority who don't, that is growing as well

In terms of 30 years of government, yes we have had and we are a massively successful country, more successful than most people could ever have imagined. Hence why it is so attractive to live, work and have a family in Ireland

SF are a known quantity and have been in Northern Ireland which some might argue has a worse housing crisis to Ireland, I don't know the numbers myself.

If you wnat to vote SF, off you go, but at least have the cop on to read their policies and the other parties. Many a so called SF supporter found on boards have been found on as totally unaware of what SF actually plan or what their policies are

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

• Registered Users Posts: 27,897 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Sinn Fein have objected to more housing than all of the other politicians put together. Yes, they are responsible for blocking estate after estate. What is worse, they are pandering to the idea that housing on a limited amount of land can be cheap, that every person in the country "deserves" a four-bed semi with a garage and a garden at a minimum.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/2023/07/20/ireland-has-one-of-lowest-rates-of-home-ownership-for-under-40s-esri-says/

Look at the age demographics of home owners though, figure was 66% ownership in 2022 census.

We have a massive population under 40 with no home ownership and a large % with little to no chance of being able to purchase a property without inheritance. You say this is on the increase the figures show that The proportion of owner occupied dwellings was 66% in 2022, down from 68% in 2016.(Census 2022).

I have agreed that our employment prospects are greater than previous generations however our house ownership opportunity have plummeted under various FF/FG/FFG governments. It's all well and good having a decent standard of living but having to shell out 2k+ on rent to live with your partner in an 1 bed apartment unable to save for a deposit.

As I have stated it's down to the Haves vs Have Nots. If you were struggling to save for a deposit due to ludicrous rents to private LL's and after years when you eventually do struggle to purchase a house due to shortage in the market and houses going for 100k over their asking you may have different feelings towards this "successful country".

• Advertisement

You are 100% correct on this. Sinn Fein got elected to Dublin City Council in 2014 on the promise of building more houses. What happened? Less houses were built and they got kicked out in 2019.

In 2014, Sinn Fein, Independents, AAA, People before Profit and United Left had 35 of the 63 seats and full control of the Council. They did such a bad job that ten years later, the other parties - FF, FG, Greens, Labour and the SDs - now have 41 of the 63 seats. Sinn Fein have gone from 16 in 2014 to just over half in 9 today.

Dublin learned a hard lesson from Sinn Fein control of the Council.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,490 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Given that the vast majority of new home developments are financed by private investment funds, what do you think removing those funds from the equation will do to the number of new developments starting and/or completing?

We will be told you should disregard that 😂

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,284 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

That is how democracy works! TDs don't appear by magic in the Dail, they do actually represent the views of the people who elect them time after time. The fact of the matter is that the majority of voters have a significant investment in the property market and while they'd agree that the housing issue needs to be addressed, they will not support solution that results in them ending up in negative equity. And of course those seeking housing won't accept any solution that does not include them getting to own a house. Perhaps the pain will gets so great that those seeking housing will eventually be willing to look at alternatives, but it is still along way off.

and?

Home ownership rates are going in the right direction, we have a housing crisis. It doesn't get fixed overnight and certainly will take longer when you have the likes of Mary Lou and her mate from Foxrock blocking desperately needed developments

Fact is people are renting and saving today, the majority of houses that are build are been bought by people in Ireland, some of course are not and they will provide rental properties for people. Not everyone wants to buy

I notice a lot of buzz words in the posts "private LL's", "have and have not's" etc etc

How do you know I own my own house? seems like you are making assumptions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,824 ✭✭✭jj880

Dublin Council must work differently to other councils. Where I live Councillors might have power to get a set of traffic lights up if they whinge enough. They can propose motions but they may as well be bowel motions never to be heard tell of again. Anything important is an executive function. Council CE decides. End of story.

Social housing and county plans are the main remaining functions of local authorities. The 2014 DCC restricted development with height and density restrictions making many sites unviable, they even objected to some of their own developments.

Well you are just wrong on that front, I randomly picked Meath and Kilkenny

Also if SF couldn't build units in the first place why did they put a big announcement on their own webpage about what a huge success it was for SF and they would build units from 2014-2019

of course that like many other articles have been deleted from SF website but not before a lot of people seen it

https://www.meath.ie/council/council-services

https://kilkennycoco.ie/eng/your_council/about-the-council/roles-and-responsibilites/role-of-elected-council.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,824 ✭✭✭jj880

Waffly ambiguous language with qualifiers / exclusions. Councillors can vote, propose, reserve function their faces off all they like and would love their constituents to think they have lots of power when reading pumped up language like those websites. Now this is in Donegal Im referring to which is a joke of a council to a lot of people (myself included). There is a well known planning report pending now for years. Like I said maybe Dublin is different. You can post all the links you like. Ive seen it firsthand. CE overruling councillor majority votes.

And?

And it shouldn't be the case that only people over the age of 40 should be able to buy a house in this successful country. We keep being told how great our wages and employment levels are, so why is home ownership under 40 the lowest it has ever been?

Home ownership rates are going down as shown by the census, this is not the right direction. I can tell that you're completely anti SF and your never going to change from that. As I have stated previously I am by no means 100% loyal to any party, I treat politicians on their policies and their beliefs. My generation have been let down by countless FF/FG/FFG governments in the area of housing and with number of home ownership under 40 reducing on year they are not improving.

I am renting and saving and have been for a number of years but rents of 2k+ per month means it takes significant years even being on decent salaries.

The majority of properties being built in Ireland are not for sale for people in Ireland. Of the houses built last year 32695, only 27% went on sale on the market. 73% of new properties were one-off houses (not on sale to public) or apartments for rent or social housing. In Dublin City Centre 94% was apartments (needed) but only 2% went for sale to the public 98% were private rent or social housing. We definitely need more apartments but to have only 27% of the record year of housing going on sale in the market is ridiculous.

I took the "Have vs Have Not's" from a previous poster who described that it's human nature.

I'm making a highly educated guess as the majority of FF/FG/FFG supporters are home owners and believe that they hold the answers to the housing crisis that isn't overly affecting them.

It's not the case that only people over 40 can buy a house.

Home ownership rates are not going down

In terms of SF I think they are incompetent. They have also made the housing crisis worse.

The links with organised crime as well

Now that's just a start but enough to turn me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,842 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I'm making a highly educated guess as the majority of FF/FG/FFG supporters are home owners and believe that they hold the answers to the housing crisis that isn't overly affecting them.

Not just in Housing.

After Enda's false promises of a New Politics I realised that neither FF or FG or any combination of the two would ever properly run the country. In a way that was fair to all and gave equal opportunities to all.
    It is a relationship that is too similar and too cozy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭pureza

Which page of the manifesto is that paragraph on,I forgot my bookmark 🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 68,842 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Page 35 Paragraph 3 of the 3rd edition. You should learn it off by heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭pureza

Regarding ages of people buying a house,2 friends of mine both working in a large U.S multinational got the keys to their 3 bed house this month on a green mortgage from BoI for 400k

They are 28 and 29,both with masters degree's and already in managerial roles

As the boss of another large business told me when I mentioned them in the context of the elections,that there he said is a big problem for Sinn Féin,the slowly but surely ever shrinking population of younger people who can't get mortgages

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

I'm sure I've said it here before, but the root of the housing crisis goes all the way back to Jack Lynch abolishing rates in 1977 to buy an election. At that time there was a massive ecosystem of state and semi-state, county council and city council social housing systems. All financed by rates and by rents as a by-product. As times got tougher, the promised funding from central exchequer to fund the councils dried up and as a result, the councils sold off their housing stock to tenants and laid off their construction and design teams. So they got windfalls but lost income and the whole thing ground to a halt.

At every point since then, the chance to rebuild that ecosystem was stymied by the housing boom and bust to the point that there is now no hope of getting the toothpaste back in the tube.

So we've gone from a point where government could easily and directly increase the housing stock to where it can only tangentially influence that market. Any political party that says it can 'solve' the problem is talking through an orifice not normally associated with speech.

Ahh talking sense like that won't get you far

Some people would prefer you post that everyone under 40 can't buy a house and has migrated to Australia

I never said that people under 40 couldn’t buy a house , I quoted the figures that 80% under 40 don’t own a home and your response was “And?”

Home ownership rates are literally going down, as per Census 2022 down from 68 to 66%, it’s literally the most accurate data we have to use and it disproves your belief.

For the third time I’m not advocating 100% for SF, they have issues like all parties, I’ve just highlighted the failures in housing of our FF/FG/FFG governments in this area. Again I supplied data in regards to the lack of availability of stock on the market to the public from last year, only 27% of all new construction, which you’ve just ignored as it doesn’t fit with your beliefs.

If you want to have a debate I’m more than happy to but if you’re just a staunch FF/FG homeowner happy with the status quo that’s fine too.

Yes you did, you said only people over 40 can buy a house.

At the moment you just want to take a personal attack at me, trying to say my opinion is irrelevant because

A. I don't support SF

B. You have decided I am a home owner

It is so disingenuous and I have seen it 100 times on boards and across social media. No Thanks

I’m genuinely happy for them, that is around my budget and for love nor money cannot find a suitable house (that doesn’t need 100k+ in upgrades) in Dublin for that price. A house in Poppintree went for 110k over asking, house in Swords, 105k over asking.

House prices have once again gotten out of hand. The mortgage is the easy part to get, we’ve had it for months, banks happy to lend money to us “average” earners, the supply to purchase isn’t there.

Saying the mortgage is the easy part is questionable. Based on my experience the hardest and difficult bit is the mortgage and the hoops you have to jump to get it

You have picked two houses in Dublin. Not sure why you would be in Ballymun and then Swords?

ANyway, if you have 400k then plenty of houses available all across Dublin.

If you are concerned about over asking, then go to first time buyers properties

I never stated that, I was asking you a question “do you think only people over the age of 40 should be able to buy a house” I used should there for conditional language as you merely responded “And?” dismissively to my point that 80% under 40 don’t own a home.

There is nothing personal about this and it isn’t an attack by any means, it’s a debate on a forum meant for discussion and debate.

I have consistently stated I’m not 100% SF, my recent European election votes went to an Independent and a PBP candidate, no one else.

If you don’t want to debate that’s fine but don’t think I’m disingenuous and just looking to rile anyone up in the slightest, not my intention at all and I’ll apologise if you felt I was doing that or personally attacking you in anyway.

You decided I owned a house, based on nothing and then made assumptions based on that. All personal. Nothing to do with the topic at all. Have I asked you anything personal apart from what you actually provided yourself?

Sorry maybe I am taring you with the same brush but this is a common approach from SF accounts, go after the person personally, attack them, wait for a reaction and then run to the mods to get them banned. In reality it is a tired playbook at this stage

I gave my point of view, you have provided nothing really relevant as far as I am concerned, so I have zero interest. You an Francie should get on the best

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Yep. We are seeing high levels of mortgages.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/2023/08/25/banks-approving-record-number-of-mortgages-for-first-time-buyers/

Plus we are building 40k houses a year. It will probably hit 50k in the next 2-3 years.

Also Sinn Fein said FG wouldnt reach that target back in 2021.

https://vote.sinnfein.ie/varadkars-40000-home-building-target-not-credible-eoin-o-broin-td/

• Advertisement

I was responding to a different poster there.

The mortgage is easy to achieve, supply bank statement, salary certs, payslips, etc easily done in a couple of months, banks are very happy to lend these days once you can show you can pay it back.

I have mentioned them because we’re looking in North Dublin, places close to m50/airport so they’re fitting locations.
    New builds in Swords are starting at 485k, out of the price bracket so we have been in bidding wars that went stupidly over asking.

Advertisement