Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to Replace Fan Bearing

Options
  • 10-06-2024 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Can anyone explain how to get to the bearings in this boiler fan? To access the bearings, it appears that the fan blades need to be removed from the axle. There is no lock washer or set screw. The blades are made of plastic. Would using a puller deform the blades?

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,125 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Is the bearing considered a replaceable part and separable from the fan blades? Those are usually push-fit alright except they use a specially formed jig to press the fan onto the bearing evenly. In many cases it's a whole unit which needs to be replaced, so wondering whether you're sure that it's possible to do what you're planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Beaver33

Thank-you for your comment. You are correct, the manufacturer sells the fan as an entire (very expensive $1,000) unit - that is why I would like to attempt a repair, if possible. If I am able to use a puller to remove the fan blades, then I believe I could access and replace the bearings. Would it be possible to successfully push the blades back onto the axle? Would I need to apply glue to ensure a tight fit?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,125 ✭✭✭10-10-20

You're into the realm of the unknown there as there's a good chance that they use an adhesive (loktite red or similar) at assembly and disassembly won't be easy. At that price it's worth the risk. The trick of course is to spread the tension across the blades evenly to avoid deforming the blade and causing an imbalance. Any chance you can get a failed unit as a test and try there?

WonWondering if freezing the axle shaft might help, selectively hit it with freezer spray, might help ease the joint.

Do you have a source for a good quality replacement bearing?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Won’t happen.

Parts nowadays are made not to be repaired.

More €€ for the manufacturers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,778 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I know its only available to the UK but does this help?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ebmpapst-NRG118-0800-3612-030203-ICB215001-Genuine/dp/B0C8V8K776/

If a seller on Amazon has it for £130 then you know its available and someone else should do it for a similar price?

Plenty of second hand ones on eBay and a few new/other whatever that is and spotted this https://www.ebay.ie/itm/195701525810

Another possible which does seem to be the required 120V which is something you need to check as some are 240V

https://www.ebay.com/itm/326141474394

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Beaver33

Thanks to everyone who commented. Given the potential difficulty of repair, I replaced the whole fan assembly with a new one I purchased at reasonable cost (from one of the links mentioned by @The Continental Op). Since the original fan is still functional (but makes noise from time to time), I will keep it as a back-up in case needed in the future.

Advertisement