Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

who killed wcw

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Never knew about it until I seen this post but I'll watch, might wait for all to be released though.

Betting it definitely wasn't bischoff, according to bischoff anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭cena

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭jo187

It was show on Turner classic films here. It was cartoon network till 9.00 pm and then turned into Turner classic movies but would show nitro and eventually thunder. Never got ppvs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

I used to watch NWA and then WCW on UTV back in the early to mid90's.

It was on at around 2am midweek so I had to learn how to set the video to record- getting a degree in electronic engineering would have been simpler. I persevered though and it was worth it- Surfer Sting, Big VanVader, Sid Vicious, Ric Flair etc.

I also went down to Cavan Town once a month to buy WCW magazine. It was a far superior product to WWF at the time.

They came to the Point around 1993 or so- was an amazing show. I think I might still have the card from the night at my parents house.

Also had a friend who lived in Donnybrook and what is now the Spar shop was around the corner from his house. Was a corner shop then and in the video rental section they had all the WCW pay per views-Starrcade, Bash at the Beach etc.

Started listening to some 83 weeks pods last year & he always rejects the idea Hogan was really ' running the company'. Even on the starrcade 97 fúck up.

He gives reasons for stuff happening,buyout of turner, poor creative, Russo, etc. & that meltzer guy he hates probably had something to do with it ha.

Have heard nash being booker somewhere before too

Don't know a whole lot on it tbh but there probably is no who killed it, maybe more, no one there to stop it happening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,043 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

The opening just had people blaming each other so I guess each episode will be different sides of the story. Last week was Bischoff version of events.

Never watched it past the aforementioned Surfer Sting and Ric Flair on UTV. Was about the time Vader made his debut as well I think. Johnny B Barr, Mean Mark, Stunning Steve Austin. Whatever became of those guys. Probably went nowhere. 😃

Didn't it used to air on Bravo, or was that ECW?

Yeah, If not bravo it was a channel down around there in the EPG, used be on the same time as raw on sky's sports in the late 90s

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭SteM

Don't think it was Bravo, I remember a Turner logo at the top, maybe TCM?

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Petermc83

I dont know if it will shed any new light on the demise of WCW that we dont know already.

There were plenty of reasons why it failed, Bischoffs power struggle with Hogan / Nash, creative influence being given to wrestlers, huge salaries, bad booking towards the end and then The Rock/Stonecold Attitude Era blowing up in WWE all helped kill WCW. I am sure everyone will have a big bitch and moan in the episodes to blame one another.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,946 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

It definitely aired here, I remember watching a few disco inferno matches LOL

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Bischoff loves to pass the blame off on others for it. It wasn't all his fault, but a hell of a lot of it lies with him.

One of the biggest things to my mind was their refusal to let the NWO go, just kept flogging that dead horse until it went away with a whimper. I vaguely recall Bischoff criticising WWF saying all they had was Austin vs McMahon, which is exceptionally rich coming from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Petermc83

They watered down the NWO brand so much that it just killed them.. The WolfPac NWO was unnecessary and at one stage.. it seemed about 80% of the roster was a NWO member on either side, it was ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 6,921 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Bravo started showing ECW towards the end of their life, never WCW.

TCM showed Nitro on a Friday night and Thunder on a Saturday night.

ITV used to show old WCW but it was sporadic, could appear on a Saturday afternoon or at stupid o'clock midweek.

Fond memories of surfer sting, giant gonzales, the freebirds, vader, Flair, Ron Simmons, austin, cactus, dan spivey and a plethora of jobbers. I remember Marcus Alexander (Buff) Bagwell getting squashed by Vader with sting making the save. Good Times

Googled where nitro was shown here & everyone is right 😄 people saying it started on TNT, when that closed it moved to TCM then finally Bravo about 2000/01. Think it was bravo had it on the same night as raw. Also talk of another show, not thunder, airing on channel 5 but I don't remember it.

Anyone watch ep2 yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

How times have changed, remember waiting for cartoon network to finish and WCW to come on. If you missed an episode then there was no watching it later.

What killed WCW for me:

Nwo were just too powerful. WcW wrestlers never really got any payback. Made it a bit boring.

Fingerpoke of Doom. I actually loved the wolfpack and was ready for a civil war between NWO black and red. Then...we all know what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I say Vince was grinning like the Cheshire Cat the day WCW was signed over to him

• Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Read "The Death of WCW" by Bryan Alvarez late last year and was a fairly succinct week by week summary of things.

The gist of the book is that there's no single point of failure. It's a combination of poor booking, over inflated egos, terrible financial decisions etc. Not many come out of it without some portion of the blame.

Great read for what it's worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

If it's an old book I read it about 15 years ago on holidays.

Was left in the book swap in the hotel. Was a fascinating read.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Yep it's about 20 years old. Been some revisions and re-releases since then, but the gist of it remains the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭SteM

That's it exactly, the phrase 'death by a thousand cuts' is apt when it comes to wcw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,043 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

This week was Russo's turn to defend himself.

I know it's not made by WWE but Benoit got some mentions. Though it was needed for the context of jumping to WWE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

have watched 3/4 episodes looking forward too the final one. Some real nostalgia in the first 3

Advertisement