Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Americans - Probably the greatest TV Show most people haven't seen?

Options
2»

Comments

Actually looked this series up cause of this thread..

TBH its alright, a bit boring.. The main FBI guy annoys me… struggling to get through S1..

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Highlighter75

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭delboy85

I love "The Americans" also. But it took me three attempts to finally get into it.

The first couple of times I tried I couldn't get over the silly wigs and I gave up towards the end of the first season (on both first attempts).

But I'm glad I went back to it. I found it did ebb and flow in quality a little throughout it's run but it's generally great.

I'd also recommend "Deutschland 83" as previous posters have. It's excellent. I was just thinking about it today!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,642 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I don't think I'm going to start on it tbh, I assumed it was a series or two.

75 episodes!

Don't think I can commit to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

I loved it and watched it as it was released and then listened to the episode podcasts as well.

It did go slow in parts but there was some excellent acting and gruesome parts in it as well.(Nina)

Matthew Rhys and Keri Russell have been married the past 10 years.

To get another view of Rhys, he did the smartless podcast. A very funny man!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,265 ✭✭✭squonk

I watched it at the time it was first released. I largely enjoyed it but found it shîte in places. Think I missed the final season actually. I might go back and rewatch. I think what detracted from it was it was coexisting with Breaking Bad and also had the “Does the lawman know what the main characters are up to” angle. BB is a different beast and made the Americans look slow. I want to watch it in isolation now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,549 ✭✭✭✭siblers

He was also on Rob Brydon's podcast, he comes across really well on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,527 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Stick with it.

It's a good show and gets better as it goes on.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Like Breaking Bad, each season of The Americans just gets better and better. Which is rare in my opinion.

I will always say the Sopranos is my all time favourite but I could never say each season was better than the last.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Dan Steely

Just finished this. Very, very good.

What would be good next? Searched Rubicon and Deutschland 83 mentioned above on AP and Sky but neither have it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭fman

Deutschland is on channel 4 (all 4/ on demand, whatever it's called this week).

• Registered Users Posts: 25,268 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Quick teaser on Deutschland 83

Is it up now or coming up? Can't seem to find it.

Searching in the app here, it shows available now.

ok, thanks. Not on channel 4 on-demand on sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,549 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Off topic but are the other seasons of Deutschland 86/89 any good? I really liked 83 but by the time 86 came out, I'd no real interest to watch it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Does it improve as it moves along, finding it a slog halfway through the first season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Fabio

The ending is something else. Absolutely outstanding stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Fabio

Excellent book actually. Most people say the Cuban Missile Crisis was the most dangerous time of the Cold War but no, 1983 was the most dangerous period - the Able Archer 83 NATO exercise that the Soviets thought was the stage for a real attack, the downing of Korean Airlines Flight 007 when mistaken by the Soviets as an espionage plane…and both sides had waaaay more nukes in 83, and faster ways of delivering them, than either had back in 1962.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭Rfrip

just finished this! Never saw it at the time…loved it…and a great ending.

• Advertisement

The Americans gets better with every season. Epic series.

Kind of topical again. Some of the Russian agents in the prisoner swap were sleeper agents. The children of a couple didn't even know.

Advertisement