Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water pump for house randomly stops

Options
  • 11-06-2024 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭

I bought a house with a few quirks and one that used to happen rarely is now happening regularly, where the water will stop pumping into the house.

All of the water tanks, boiler, pressurized heating system is in a small shed separate to the house, no water tank in the attic or any hot water tank in the hotpress you'd find in a lot of houses in Ireland.

The pump itself seems to be running fine and what I've found in this old thread is that it's probably the control box that's failing but maybe a combination of both.

The only difference is that all of their equipment seems to be in their attic.
    One thing I did do recently was get rid of some leaks. There was 2 leaking taps and a leaking toilet flusher, but it didn't help so unfortunately I think the damage has been done or the control box is just old. (The date on the side of mine is 02/05/07 so I'd say it's served it's time.)
    Apart from the water stopping completely at random times the water pressure doesn't seem to be at a constant level when the taps are only open a little.
    It will flow but then it drops off and then it picks up again, so maybe that needs to be replaced as well.

My questions are, is this doable as a DIY job? (I'm pretty capable with this kind of stuff but never dealt with exactly this before. If it should only be left to the professionals I won't stress over it but I'd like to save the cost of a call out if possible.)
    I've looked briefly online but not sure what make and model control box to get to replace the one I have, any recommendations?
    Would I be better off replacing both with something different? (That might be a stupid question, I'm just not familiar with what a system in 2024 should look like)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Panda

^ bump :)

(Does that even still work?)

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭embracingLife

Mod note: I didn't ask the poster to identify themselves, I was asking them to identify the type of water supply to the house for themselves.

Poster: it's not the control box that's necessarily faulty, instead there's other reasons for the drop in water pressure. This isn't a DIY fix. Much recommended for you to get a service agent to examine your system.

MOD NOTE. Don't ask a poster to identify themselves.

Post edited by embracingLife on

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭embracingLife

Is there a pressure cylinder on the system? Lots of boilers have a built-in pressure vessel so you'd have to take off the cover to see it etc. This could be faulty due to the pressure gauge going up and down when taps are turned on off etc.

This isn't a DIY fix.

Post edited by embracingLife on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Panda

Hi, thanks for your reply (not sure what went on with the first comment :)) but I can answer that source is a local water scheme.
    There are pressure cylinders. It's strange I just checked some photos I took before we bought the house and see that the pressure gauge that is there now is missing from the photos.
    I circled in red on one of the photos where a pressure gauge was added, it must have been done just before the sale went through. That boiler was just installed around 5 months before we bought the house as well so maybe the pressure gauge should have been installed around that time but was delayed for some reason…
    The pressure level on that gauge is pretty stable but I have seen that it drops some times, but never drastically, just a small amount and when I turn a tap to fill up, it stays around that set level.

Advertisement