Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Platform to facilitate corporate short term letting

• 11-06-2024 12:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I have a rental property, and the tenant has given me notice of their intention to move out. The property is in a RPZ and the tenancies have been registered with the RTB etc. As a result, the rent is set well below market rate (it is about a third of the rate advertised for the only comparable property on daft). I could obviously just sell the property, but I would like to keep it, as my kids may need it down the road. I was doing a bit of googling, and was wondering about short term letting for a couple of years, at which point (under the current rules), I'd be allowed to set the rent to a more appropriate level. One of the exceptions to planning permission requirements for short term lets, according to the linked citizens information page, is "corporate or executive" lets. So, I'm wondering if there are any platforms that are geared towards this type of letting? Has anyone else here done this, and what are the pitfalls I haven't considered?

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/owning-a-home/home-owners/renting-your-property-for-shortterm-lets/

I'm also interested in any other options available to me.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭SharkMX

If you approach big companies in your area you will find that a lot of them want to rent out properties for a year or more for their staff. They just dont advertise it because it would end up in the press as a bad thing. The company rents it and they put whoever they want in it. You dont have to do anything else yourself. they look after maintenance etc.

My company has been doing this for a few years.

They first sent an email to all the staff asking if anyone had any investment properties could they let them know. They had a big response from staff with second properties and they still needed more so sent another mail asking could we put people we knew in contact with them. They then rent them to contractors or staff who come up from the country while they are looking for somewhere else. You can stay 6 months and they take the rent out of your salary. The rent is quite good to be fair. After 6 months you have to plead your case if you still want to stay but you have to pay higher rent and move to another house if you do, so there is some house swapping with tenants. Theres one colleague who separated from his wife and they let him live in one of the apartments they were renting while he gets himself sorted, he is on his second stint and had to move into a different apartment after his first 6 months.

Ryanair are even building houses for staff, and a friend who works in their office told me that they are renting any they can get too for staff.

Also you could try your local council or housing charity.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭hometruths

Send exactly this as an email to the department of housing.

If every landlord in your position did this they might just cotton on to the problems RPZs and rent caps are causing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭SharkMX

They already know whats going on. Its not like it wasnt flagged when they first started meddling in the market to be popular. And then pointed out to them again each and every time they meddled again. Or they could have just looked at the effect rent controls has always had, anywhere.

Advertisement