Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would anyone else like to see more in the way of late night cafes?

Options
  • 11-06-2024 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hello everyone. 

so not sure if this is the right forum to post this or not but was just wondering if anyone else would like to see more places such as late evening cafes?  I have traveled a lot with my parents and this is quite common in much of continental Europe. 

I’m based near Limerick city centre and there are no places to go for a tea or coffee at night after 6 with the exception of Starbucks. As a nondrinker and someone who never really enjoyed socializing in pubs I find there are few places to go to meet friends after 6pm that have a quieter more mmellow atmosphere. I’m a blind person and for the most part I have often found pubs and nightclubs to be too noisy places. I also know that the city has been slipping for a while now but the decline in the city centre over the last few years has been vast, especially around cruises street.

I know a lot of it is probably due to lack of demand and that there probably aren’t enough non drinkers to keep these places open, but even in places like Dublin I think there are only 2 or 3 late night cafes?

I really miss places such as the stormy teacup which is sadly closed a long time now and so is Javas. Hook and ladder tried to stay open late a while back but ended up closing at regular hours because the business just wasn’t there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭rolling boh

If it was viable for these places to stay open late they would .They would need a good turnover of customers not people staying an hour over a cup of coffee,nice idea but just not viable .I don't think the alcohol free pub lasted long in Dublin kind of the same idea for people .

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Stundon93

Yeah, I read about the alcohol free bar in Dublin, I think they closed a few years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,172 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

As someone who doesn't frequent pubs much anymore, I'd love to see more options for late evening food being served.

It's impossible to get bar food/coffee and cake after 5pm in my local town. The only option is a restaurant formal meal.

It'd be nice to have the option of meeting a friend at 7 over coffee and a toasted sandwich or tapas type bite to eat.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭rolling boh

From my own experience people who don't drink don't go to a pub as often usually go to meet up as part of going to something else and don't stay for hours like drinkers .

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Stundon93

That’s a shame to hear about your local town, but it is the same in much of Irelands coastal towns. I use to frequent Kilkee a lot both during winter and summer, and while I get that Kilkee is mostly a summer tourist town it’s a similar situation there . I think theres one or two pubs that do food in the evenings there but thats pretty much it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement