Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EU to impose multibillion-euro tariffs on Chinese electric cars (thread bans see post #1)

Options
  • 12-06-2024 9:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭

Mod Note: Thread bans, mad_lad

It seems to be happening very quickly, wonder how that will affect people awaiting deliveries

The European Commission is to notify carmakers on Wednesday that it will provisionally apply additional duties of up to 25 per cent on imported Chinese EVs from next month, according to people familiar with the decision. Brussels argues that Chinese EV makers benefit from subsidies that undercut their European rivals.

https://www.ft.com/content/0545ed62-c4b9-4e8a-80fa-c9f808e18385

Post edited by liamog on

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Interesting times now for Tesla, BYD etc

BYD will be building in hungry soon, so this will help them I assume?

Tesla Model Y deliveries have been coming from Berlin in the latest batch so this will help them too I assume?

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭techman1

And eamon Ryan was saying last week that he expected the fall in electric car sales to be reversed by the arrival of cheap Chinese EVS, ursula just shot that in the foot with these tariffs, there will be alot less green meps in european parliament to complain. Ultimately the importance of European car industry and geopolitics trumps electric cars

• Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I suppose that kills Polestar in the EU and possibly everywhere.

Shame, I really liked the look of the 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,494 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

just cars, or heavy vehicles also?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Bound to happen. I've no doubt they're benefitting from subsidies and grants. A BYD Seal sells for a little over 25k euro in china. There's no way any European manufacturer could compete.

It's frustrating there's so much noise about green initiatives, electrification anf saving the planet, while at the same time making it more expensive for consumers.

I see they're going to add a 3euro monthly tariff to our ESB bills too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭eagerv

I don't think it will effect Tesla as much as some of the others. They will just switch more of our production to Germany. If Australia etc followed suit then it would be a different picture..

• Registered Users Posts: 39 6.5x55 seller ammo

Still needs a majority of member states to agree. Sweden, Germany and Hungary have all come out against the tariffs, with the expectation of other Central European member states also opposed.

Further; Chinese retaliation in the form of luxury and dairy goods and products could cause pause for other members - including ourselves.

I just don’t see this getting across the line!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭mcw92

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

German car manufacturers will be partying at that news.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

…..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Casati

No doubt non Chinese manufacturers will increase the price of their EV’s by a similar percentage to maximise profits

End of the EV price war so. This along with reduced sales are likely to see a slowing in depreciation going forward.

Unless you have a Chinese car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

This is good news. European car manufacturers could be decimated by subsidised Chinese EV's, we just can't compete with them on price in the West. Of course not great for consumers, but it may mean hundreds and thousands of jobs saved, and legacy manufacturers can battle on.

There are plenty of other EV's to choose from.

Why is it good news for us? We don't have a domestic car industry, so they're is no upside here.

It's a bailout by another name for Volkswagen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,174 ✭✭✭pad199207

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭wassie

Doubtful Australia will follow suit. Their local manufacturing ceased in 2017, so they don't have any industry to protect and increased competition means lower prices for consumers according to this report.

The bulk of the cars from China in the graph below are basically Tesla M3, MY and BYD Atto 3.

I suspect we will see quite a few new Chinese car brands popping up there as they can use it as a test bed to learn how to export to western markets.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

I'm not saying it's good news for Ireland or consumers in general, I'm saying it's good news for European car manufacturers and for the countless people that are employed by them.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

German manufacturers were the main ones pushing against it, the new Mini Cooper and Aceman are both manufactured in China and will be subject to the new tariff.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Exiled Rebel

We only just re-started selling beef last year (I know I know that's paused for the time being). It, along with powdered milk, are two vital exports to china to our farming community.

The pressure from the farming and food industry (e.g. Dairygold) on the government to vote against the tariffs will be enormous.

Theres good reason for the German's to oppose it, its less about EVs and more about everything else it makes.

https://www.reuters.com/business/us-overtakes-china-germanys-top-trading-partner-2024-05-09/

In 2023, China was Germany's top trading partner for the eighth year in a row, with volumes reaching 253 billion euros, although that was only a few hundred million ahead of the U.S.

Last thing Germany wants is EU goods being slapped with retaliatory tarriffs in a trade war.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭frank730

how is this good news? this just means there will be no cheaper options for EVs

• Registered Users Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭54and56

This is going to shake things up!!

Will it mean even less demand for new EV's but perhaps a positive bump in used EV values?

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭3d4life

https://aseannow.com/topic/1257405-electric-vehicles-in-thailand/?do=findComment&comment=18986557

• Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭kirving

There are thousands of people employed in Tier 1/2 automotive manufacturing in Ireland.

Granted, not huge, but putting a hold on state sponsored Chinese EVs flooding the market and decimating the European automotive industry, all cheered on by the Greens is a good thing in the long run. Do you want a situation where you can ONLY buy a Chinese EV?

7% of the EU's GDP, and 14 million jobs come from the automotive industry.

Not necessarily. What happens in 20 year time when there are no European OEMs' left due to the Chinese government subsidising EVs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

This is short term pain for long term gain. We can't have the consolidation of all EV manufacturing in one country, especially one that is as prickly as China. That's where this is eventually going if nothing changes

BYD opening factory in Hungary. I presume these will be tariff free.

Will be interesting to see what the UKs response to this is. Industry talks is that they may need to follow EUs lead. Conversely, other views are that it could take a different approach in order to attract further Chinese investment in UK.

May well become an Election issue I suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Stupid decision by the EU this is. The Chinese will just reduce the price of there cars even more and still sell them cheaper than the European Legacy makers and all the other Legacy makes too. It will just make things worse for these Legacy makes. In the meantime do the EU will be making a nice pocket out of it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,507 ✭✭✭✭ted1

it would still depend if they are receiving illegal state aid.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,507 ✭✭✭✭ted1

How will they reduce the price ? If it’s by more state support tariffs will Increase

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

And more tariffs will subsequently applied if there's an increase in state aid.

What do you think would happen if EU manufacturers were shut out of the market if Chinese manufacturers dominated? They'd hardly keep their prices artificially low if they had no competition.

Advertisement