Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair deal scheme - have i got this right

Options
  • 12-06-2024 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

One of the parents has recently been admitted to a nursing home so we've applied for the fair deal scheme. I've been looking at all the online info as well as threads here so this is what i take from it. Maybe someone can correct me if i've misunderstood anything!

Nursing home cost is €1500 a week, so fair deal will assess parents income and value of properties (there's the main residence and also a holiday home in this case) and tell us that they think we can afford to pay, say, €500 a week towards this and they will pay the rest.

We can then decide whether to pay this €500 ourselves, or avail of the nursing home loan which will pay this. When the nursing home is no longer needed, this loan will need to be repaid, but can be deferred to the spouse. In this case however, as there is a second property involved, this loan cannot be deferred to the spouse so will need to be paid when the nursing home is no longer needed. Depending on the time spent in the nursing home this could be sizeable amount.

Grateful for any input!

Advertisement