Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

when mobile rings, you answer and it immediately disconnects

Options
  • 12-06-2024 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Does anyone know what this could be? I take it it's some sort of scam, i'm just interested in how it operates. Maybe if you call the number back (it could be an Irish mobile number, Irish landline number, or foreign usually UK number) they try and sell you something? I don't know cos I'm too afraid to dial it. It's so utterly frustrating because there are obviously genuine individuals and organisations calling sometimes but because maybe 3/4 of the calls are of the "instantly disconnect" variety, I don't want to answer ANY calls anymore unless the number is on my contacts, or else someone has actually said to me "I'll call you back in an hour", "i'll call you tomorrow morning", etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Hey2.Hey2

If it is not disconnecting because of a weak signal then it could be what are known as 'diallers'. These are automated systems used by call centers for placing cold calls. When you answer the system will try and forward the call to an agent/salesperson but if none are available then the call is disconnected immediately. Dropped calls are not rare, don't know the legal position in RoI but OFCOM in the UK doesn't like them. There is a policy statement but repeat offenders can be fined up to £2m - if they can be found.

ETA: Don't be tempted to call back. If it is a 'real' (not spoofed) number then all you are doing is confirming there's a live, potential sucker on the other end - and verified, live numbers have a value to some people. If is is spoofed then you'll be talking to someone who will have no idea, just like you.

Post edited by Hey2.Hey2 on

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭ross81

very interesting….thanks for the info. Am in northside Dublin city so signal likely not the problem….and I suppose it would be extremely hard to track down the culprits wherever they're operating from. I wonder if there is some way for a legitimate caller (even if it's just an old fashioned wrong number) to be instantly verifiable. I mean even if say a legit business or govt agency were to Whatsapp/Text someone first BEFORE actually calling so I could personally verify that number, that itself would be useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭mobby

I never answer an unknown number or number I don't know. And must definitely never ring back. Let them leave a message if its me they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Funnily enough I got one about 30 mins ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I wouldn't trust a WhatsApp or text from an unknown number, if they can spoof a phone call they can spoof a text.

If someone cold calls you claiming to be from a legit business or government department never give them any information. Ask for their name and what's it about then hang up, Google the phone number and call it yourself.

• Advertisement

and yet unfortunately many legit callers never leave a message these days.

yes, they can be incessant fkers. sometimes there'll be 3 or more of these calls a day (although for me its usually about 3 a week) and yet there's sweet fk all the authorities can seemingly do about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

This was rampant for a few years.

The Broadband provider/vindows support/technician variety were on the go for a long time.

They have moved onto amazon/spiotify/Disney in the last few years, even masquerading as banks.

All in the name of trying to extract money from their victims.

Most if not all of the call centers are based in kolkata, or Delhi. Look up Jim Browning onn YouTube to see how it all works. He has aided in shutting down a number of their operations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭KildareP

Sometimes these diallers are only testing to see if the number is live - answering it confirms it is and presumably they build more targetted lists based on that.

However many of the robocalls will wait for you to say something when you pick up - otherwise they hang up after 2-3 seconds.

If you do answer - as many do - with "Hello" then that sets off its first sentence, and then it'll usually wait for you to say or press a key - if you don't say or press anything it'll hang up after a few seconds.

I've gotten into the very rude habit of just not saying anything when I answer an unknown call now 😀

Since then I've noticed the frequency and volume of the calls has fallen significantly - at one stage I was getting 5-6 a day without fail, I don't think I even get 5-6 a month now. I suspect, in part, that's because giving it the silent treatment assumes the number as a machine or automated device rather than a person and they remove it from their lists.

Also, the numbers they're presenting are usually spoofed - calling them back will result in some unsuspecting person insisting they never rang you and telling you they've had a flood of other people insisting they had missed calls from them as well.

Advertisement