Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discussion of local and European elections and outcomes

Options
  • 12-06-2024 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Just an observation, but notice no discussion here of local or European election and there outcomes. Anyone have any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 7September1945

*corrected to say their outcomes!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭patrickc

Same old same with the locals really!

The Europeans, Kathleen wouldn't of got many votes here in the general election as her main presence was KK.

Cynthia is in on a celeb basis only!

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Isthisthingon?

I'd agree the 'celeb factor' did help but to be fair she is a solicitor/ barrister in family law which at least brings something to the table. Other constituencies elected a Jockey.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,546 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

What was it 6 of the previous 7 councillors elected again and the only one losing out was replaced by a party colleague.

Just a pity that ignorant useless **** Ken Murnane is still getting elected off the back of his late father and useless sisters name.

On the European election at least Mick Wallace didn't get in again.

Post edited by Agent Coulson on

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Isthisthingon?

I don't think it is that much of a surprise that sitting councilors are returned at a local election. I voted cross party for the people who I thought did/ would do a good job. The moving of the deckchairs in a party is inevitable.

I personally don't believe it is an indication of how a general election vote would go.

Regarding the European elections - I'm amazed people voted for Nina Carbury who must have got in purely on the celebrity vote like her colleague the rose of tralee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Notmything

At least Carlow people got to vote for councillors they know, still a pity that pbp one was re-elected.

Us poor souls in graiguecullen had a poor choice in terms of who to vote for.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I'm looking forward to seeing the back of our chocolate teapot TD at the next General Election. Jennifer Murnane O'Connor is an absolute waste of space. Can't see her getting re-elected.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Be well and win

Dream on, given the latest polls I'd say she will have a good chance of topping the polls, especially if a chunk of Kilkenny goes into Tipp North.

Funchion is gone so whoever replaces her will have little or no name recognition and the collapse in Sinn Fein vote, especially in the local elections must by worrying for them. They polled at 11% in the recent locals, FF polled at 30%. Malcolm Noonan will do well to hold his seat given where the Greens are.

Jennifer was only 800 votes behind John McGuiness last time. A lot could depend if Pat Deering or someone else serious in Carlow runs.

Advertisement