Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISS emergency training simulation audio leaks

Options
  • 13-06-2024 1:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭

Thought this was an ongoing situation

false alarm

Ian Servin || @airplaneian.com on Bluesky@airplaneianFollowHere is a full transcript of the radio traffic in question from the NASA ISS live stream:

So if we could get a commander back in his suit, get it sealed and step into procedure 5.180 for suited hyperbaric treatment, section three for oxygen post-splashdown, that would be my recommendation. How copy?

Copy. Understand that this is a best effort treatment, and so whatever you can do is going to be better than doing nothing. And just as an FYI, prior to sealing, closing the visor and pressurizing the suit, I would like you to check his pulse one more time. How copy?

Correct, yes. That would be, actually, Sif [sp?], you're on this call. How much oxygen do we have remaining in minutes?

Perfect, so yes, then I would like you to have 100% O2 flowing via mask while you get the suit on. Prior to closing the visor and pressurizing, I'd like you to do a pulse check one more time, and then step into 5.180, section three.

Is there a way that the mask can be attached? So is there a way that we could get the suit over the head, have the visor open, and put the mask at least close to his face while you finish sealing up the suit, or is that not feasible?

Copy. Copy.

Well, I think at this point, because the hypobaric exposure is the big problem, and given his exam, I am concerned that there are some severe DCS hits, and so I would recommend trying to get him in the suit as soon as possible, and giving oxygen as best as able during that process, but the best thing would be to get him in the suit ASAP.

Thank you. Just as a FYI for you, I am still about one hour out from MCC-X. Unfortunately, we will need to keep doing the phone situation until I am able to be there. I am currently stuck in traffic.

While we don't have other flight surgeons on call, while I am stuck in traffic, I can reach out to see if there's anyone who can get there sooner than one hour. That being said, there really isn't anything we could do in person that we can't do over the phone at this point. Unfortunately, the prognosis for Commander is relatively tenuous, I'll say, at this point, to keep it generic.

One thing, I don't know if you got this message before, but I did find a, through Dan, I did find a hospital in Spain that has critical care facilities and hyperbaric treatment facilities. Would you like me to give you that hospital and their phone number again?

Okay, so that is San Carlos, S-A-N-C-A-R-L-O-S, in San Fernando, spelled the normal way, and that's in the province of Cadiz, C-A-D-I-Z, in Spain. And that phone number is country code XXXXX . Again, that number is country code XXXXX. How copy?

Copy. In the meantime, I will continue my trek in. Otherwise, I will see if a flight surgeon can be there sooner, and then you are free to call me with any updates or any changes. If the crew do get suited and start the treatment and they make a call down, I would request to be updated at that point. Thank you very much. Anything else I can do for you, Sif? Thank you, bye.

Doesn't sound good...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Sounds like a depressurisation event, that only affected one person

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

@Space_StationFollowThere is no emergency situation going on aboard the International Space Station. At approximately 5:28 p.m. CDT, audio was aired on the NASA livestream from a simulation audio channel on the ground indicating a crew member was experiencing effects related to decompression sickness (DCS). This audio was inadvertently misrouted from an ongoing simulation where crew members and ground teams train for various scenarios in space and is not related to a real emergency. The International Space Station crew members were in their sleep period at the time. All remain healthy and safe, and tomorrow’s spacewalk will start at 8 a.m. EDT as planned.

Advertisement