Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stomach problems

Options
  • 13-06-2024 7:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi, I'm just back from having a scope done for the second time. I've suffered from Chronic heartburn, indigestion and nausea for 6 years. I'm taking 40mg Omeprozole daily. I've had 2 scopes and both came up clear. Have also tried triple therapy and it didn’t work. Blood tests show inflammation but no infections found in bloods or in scope. Biopsies also clear. Have also tried dietary changes but it doesn’t matter what I eat or drink, it still happens .I don’t drink, smoke and I’m not over weight.

Can anyone help with what it could be that's causing this from their own experience or suggest what i could do to stop it. Has it happened to anyone else.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭tohaltuwi

Have you been attending a gastro-enterologist rather than just getting a brief answer from a doctor performing a scope?

There are some good ones out there, like Shiobhan Weston & Asghar Qasim at the Beacon. I used to attend the latter to manage Ulcerative Colitis, up to when I had a full colectomy in 2016. I also have a hiatus hernia & gastro esophageal reflux, and have a tendency to develop stomach inflammation & ulcers when I get stressed over things, I have Multiple Sclerosis which also can cause gastro-paresis, the slowing of emptying of my stomach into the small intestine. This back-up can lead to a concentration of acid.

Moreover it can lead to a back-up of bile into the stomach. Bile is very irritating to the stomach and doesn’t respond to likes of omeprazole. Gastroparesis can be related to a number of other conditions, as in my case MS, the nerves just not sending messages to propel everything forwards. Diabetics can get this too, but there are many potential causes and sometimes no apparent cause at all.

In my case bile is very apparent in the occasions where I might vomit, or when the reflux comes up to my mouth. It’s very bitter in flavour and irritates throat too, and I’m inclined to lung infections when some of that works down. I have to keep my bed head tilted up, and I have been prescribed Domperidone to help my digestive system’s peristalsis. When the gastroparesis strikes my appetite wanes somewhat, I can get nauseous, occasionally vomit. I don’t have a colon, but if I did I could be experiencing variability in bowel function.

There are a number of potential triggers of / tendency to stomach inflammation not directly related to h pylori. Also some cases of H Pylori have been showing some resistance these times to triple therapy. But it’s usually clear by testing whether you have that common bug or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭phormium

What has doc suggested is wrong? It obviously sounds like reflux anyway is causing the heartburn and subsequent inflamation, don't know about the indigestion and nausea though. I've had severe heartburn for past 30 yrs or so, it's a cycle, get the heartburn, inflame the esophagus, get the scope, put on pills for few months to let that heal and then it all starts all over again! Don't have the indigestion/nausea though.

Beginning of this year I got tired of it all and decided I wanted to be on the medication full time as sick and tired of buying over the counter stuff at the price and having to take it regularly and the soreness was actually getting really painful, more than just heartburn but actual pain down my esophagus.

Anyways went off to doc again (had not gone about this for many years or had scope as previous one had really hurt and put me off having them again plus better the otc stuff was available) but discovered family member was on this medication for years with much more minor symptoms than mine so determined to get it as it's very limiting regarding what you can eat and bending down to pick up anything or do a bit of gardening has to be thought about twice as it sets it off.

Now initially years ago I was diagnosed with Hiatus Hernia, common as muck of course and aggravates the scenario. Anyway doc wouldn't do prescription without new scope, understandable so off I went. Diagnosed again with hernia/severe inflammation/biopsies clear and consultant said obviously valve from stomach wasn't working right (bleedin' obvious to be honest from my history), given 3 months prescription to allow inflammation heal as it was very bad which was obvious to me cos of pain but here I am now the three months is finished and the heartburn is back as I knew it would be! Tried to tell doc that this was going to come back but he was 'sure' that 3 months would fix it, yeh it fixed the sore throat because heartburn was stopped for 3 months so it healed but sure of course it was going to come back as valve or hernia was not going to change over that time.

Anyway I'm going to be back to over the counter Losec which is my pill of choice. Does your problem not actually go away when you are taking the pills or is it constant even with them? I can't eat or drink a lot of things without triggering very bad HB but I'll get it regardless every day normally just some foods make it much worse, porridge for example. Sugar definitely makes it worse too unfortunately, God forbid I'd have a slice of cake or a scone in comfort!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

Used to have that problem, turned out that I was gluten intolerant and to a lesser degree lactose to intolerant

Gave up both, remarkable change

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭riddles

Try taking curcumin and milk thistle and throw in some cider vinegar. A probiotic and cut out alcohol altogether. They are good for all manner of things in any case.

Advertisement