Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deleted Now

• 13-06-2024 9:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Deleted

Post edited by SkyBoy69 on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

I haven't applied but are you waiting on your vetting to return? When I applied for the Prison Service it took months which is the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 101zoo

Applied in march 2022, passed all stages first time round (didn't have to repeat the fitness test or medical). Waiting 2 years and three months since you applied isn't fair and the usual response is all you can get if you contact by phone or email about your application, Waiting on elements or facets of your application and we'll be in touch in due course. To be fair I understand GDPR laws but you'd swear you're calling to look for someone else's information or something with the responses like that.. like you've said if you were given a time frame or some solid information you'd appreciate that.

That's my two cents on it, the only advice I can give is stay patient and "resilient" and hopefully you'll get the call soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,940 ✭✭✭billyhead

Could it be that you lived abroad and vetting is very slow?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 SkyBoy69

I applied initially in Feb 2023, had a slight issue with the medical, it was soon thereafter corrected and cleared. I understand the vetting process can take time but this is surely absurd to still be in limboa few months later. I heard the prison service has a long waiting time but the gaurds is on another level.

Nope never lived abroad, I have 3 relatives living abroad maybe that could be a factor.

• Advertisement

Yeah I did you're 100% correct, but still in fairness if an application is a little more complex then you work harder on it to get it over the line, to be in a really good oom to begin with and then have candidates from a newer campaign completely bypass you is unacceptable in my opinion. Waiting for a job that you applied for 2 years and three months ago shouldn't be the way. Don't get me wrong I'd be very familiar with the process I knew it can take awhile but that's just taking the biscuit.. and it's not just a handful of people in the same situation it's hundreds according to the latest and previous policing authority reports, if there wasn't retention and recruitment problems within the organisation then it would be nearly acceptable but there is. I'm not slating the staff that work in HR they're only doing there job. In my opinion there should be a maximum amount on the timeframe from when you apply to when you get an answer.

You were waiting 2 years and 3 months for an offer? If so that is an insane waiting time.Yeah I'm staying patient and as resilient as I can but it's so disheartening. There is no allocation for peoples life's at all. Did you since take the offer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭mikethecop

If you dont like inefficient systems and poor management you might want to re think your career path tbh

@SkyBoy69 no I applied over 2 years ago, took around a year to complete all aspects and now waiting 1.3 years for clearance, so still waiting on an offer. I can deal with inefficiency and poor management but jaysus if you can't see how this process can be extremely disheartening for people well then you're very inconsiderate. You'd swear the organisation wasn't in a recruitment and retention crisis at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭exitstageleft

Regardless of the reasons why (vetting, few interviewers, etc.) one of the easiest fixes across the public sector for getting a better standard of recruit is just plain speed. I'm not sure there is a job in the public sector that can be filled faster than 6 months. In the private sector, 6 weeks would be a long time.

Anyone good could usually choose to be long gone by the time their offer finally lands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,310 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Took me a month after the end date for what I suspected was a "shite, we need to list this because the rules say we need to" job, obviously going to an internal candidate, for me to get the Sorry email from a state body.

From experience, semi-states can hire even faster than many entirely private sector places but fully public bodies are nuts.

@exitstageleft

Now that's exactly what is happening, people left waiting get fed up and take up other roles, immigrate ect.. these are people who can have and do have exceptionally creditable qualities and are just pushed out of a job in which they could've made an extremely positive impact. Its wrong really.

Advertisement