Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrical Services Engineering as an electrician

Options
  • 13-06-2024 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all,

Hoping this is okay to post here. I’m currently a qualified electrician just out of my time and am keen on progressing onto electrical engineering. I’m looking to apply for a course in TUD called Electrical Services Eng. I’m wondering if anyone has any advice who did the course and possible job prospects. I would look at going into a level 8 after, possibly Electrical/Elec Eng (TU821) or Energy Management.

I’ve read threads from previous years about the course that it may not provide you with great job prospects upon completion but they are from a good few years ago so perhaps that may have changed. Just wondering if doing the course would be a waste of time as I’ve heard there are lads working on sites who have it and can’t find work, albeit this info was from a previous thread. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,577 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

It sounds like you view this course as a stepping stone to the Level 8 honors degree. If you can obtain the Level 8 the Level 7 will be of little consequence to any potential employer.

My own daughter is currently in her third year of the Level 8 program and has already secured an excellent job with the company where she currently has her work placement with. This highlights the immense value of the Level 8 course.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭maxamillius

further education is a never a waste of time, I did the electrical services degree and whilst I don’t work as an engineer, I have a pretty well paid job as a project manager and I believe having the degree and showing that i was attending college at night at my own expense proved I was a dedicated worker.

A friend of mine also did the course, worked several years in various engineering firms and now has a very senior role within a data centre company, very high paid job. Always strive for more knowledge.. it will serve you well.

Best of luck

Advertisement