Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games per season

• 13-06-2024 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭

Hi,

Just how many competitive games does a GAA player actually play in a season. I suppose I would be talking about National League and Championship. I would have said about 5/6/7 league games and probably 2 more if you reach a final. The Championship varies depending on the success of the county final, maybe 2/3 and up to 5/6 if you reach a final.

Anyone able to give a good figure for your average GAA player, even club games and club county cup games could be used.

That's one thing that the GAA lacks is a proper program of fixtures. Soccer players average over 40/50 games, Rugby can play around 20/30, even Basketball players play over 30 games in a season!

Anyone in the know.

😀

Post edited by artanevilla on

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Moved from General Sports to GAA. Please note, local charter now applies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,819 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I’m going to give an example of a young County Hurling player from last year

7 x Championship Intercounty Matches

4 x NHL (would’ve played all except for Fitzgibbon Cup)

5 x Fitzgibbon Cup

2 x Club Hurling U21 Championship

6 x Club Adult Hurling Championship

I think dabbled a bit in club football too

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭jonnreeks

Still no regular pattern there really. Some of those competitions are staged at different times of the year. No regular season which has been a failure of the GAA during its history. I suppose it is what it is. No chance of a season ticket. I suppose the National League and local county league championships would be the best regular format that the GAA can offer if you were looking at a regular competition with dates!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,819 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

No - 100% no regular pattern

Unfortunately it’s the same in the majority of ‘grassroots’ sports though. Weather, facilities, work-life can make it weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭jonnreeks

I suppose if the GAA can't create and a agree a regular fixture format for the Senior competitions that is suitable for all, then it's doesn't set a great example or model for the local county games. I suppose on the other hand if the majority of GAA fans aren't bothered, what does it matter as it just creates endless meetings and discussions that go nowhere!

🙃

• Advertisement
Advertisement