Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Euro 2024 AH thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Sunjava

I'd almost say some of the OTT reaction to Ronaldo is unhinged. Portugal didn't create too many clear cut chances...there was the missed glancing header that he scores 8/10. Otherwise the opportunities fell to others but they were few.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Ronaldo doesnt hold a candle to Messi. Messi is selfless for the team. Ronaldo is the team. Made a show of himself tonight with another shocking performance and bawling like a spoilt child. Id say jota, bruno and silva have had their fill of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Graham 1324

Ronaldo crying, what a whiney little steamer

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭whitelaurel

haven’t seen any OTT reaction , just a load of people calling it out as very odd. Ex players agree.

That World Cup, wow , now that is players playing for a leader. They were all inspired.

• Advertisement

I’ve never seen a player bawl on the pitch after missing a peno in the middle of a game no. Have you any examples? I’ve seen it underage though actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 JohnQ6511

The real ones cried with him. Mark my words Portugal will win this!
    It’s heartbreaking to see him cry but moments like these show the depth of passion and commitment that CR7 brings to the game.

He's a true champion, and this emotional response is a testament to his dedication.

His journey inspires millions, and his resilience will lead to more triumphs ahead 🐐🙏

The only comparison i can think of is gazza at italia 90. Truly bizarre what happened tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Greengrass53

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

I have always been on the Ronaldo side of the Ronaldo/Messi argument. It's just a personal preference and I see and respect why other people prefer Messi.

I particularly loved in 2016 when Ronaldo was taken off injured for Euro final and he showed great leadership by continuing to play a captain's part from the line and drive his team to victory.

That exhibition on missing the penalty was embarrassing. That was not befitting a captain. It was not as if they were a goal down and looking for an equaliser, there was still a chance to win it.

I get what Strumms meant by he was upset because he cared, which is a positive. Seeing soccer players smiling and looking uncaring while leaving a pitch when losing jars me but the captain has to focus on the job in hand.

Roaldo missing was one thing but Martinez not replacing him before that was unbelievable. If they had lost it would have been his fault.

Also Ronaldo has been iconic with Portugal but Pepe? What a hero!

• Advertisement

He scored the first penalty of the shootout and gave players confidence for the rest of the shootout. It was the right decision to keep Ronaldo on because they won and that’s what matters. Doesn’t matter if you win ugly or pretty.

….

It’s called having passion. It’s not rare to see this mate it happened loads of times I can give you a few quick examples now of great players showing emotion crying during games. 

Paul Gascoigne - Cried during the 1990 World Cup semi-final when he received a yellow card that would have suspended him from the final.

David Luiz - Cried during Brazil's 7-1 loss to Germany in the 2014 World Cup semi-final.

John Terry - Cried during the 2008 Champions League final after missing a crucial penalty in the shootout.

Luis Suárez - Cried after being sent off during a Copa América match against Chile in 2011.

Carlos Tévez - Cried during a match for Boca Juniors when he was substituted and felt he hadn't performed well.

Arjen Robben - Cried during Bayern Munich's match against Borussia Dortmund in the DFB-Pokal final after missing several chances.

Mesut Özil - Cried during a match for Germany when he was criticized by fans and media, feeling deeply emotional.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,865 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

And if he stayed on and they lost. This taking the penalty first thing is insane. Of course your best "star" player should be first. Was a nice surprised from last time when he wasn't able to take his penalty

A simple no would have sufficed. You have one peno miss in your list that stretchs back 34 years. The peno was the final kick in a CL final lol. This was in a round 16 game at nil all with 15 mins left against a team with limited talent that they had been all over. It was rather Bizzare.

He should have been taken off before that. I love the man, I love his commitment, his work ethic, his achievements through practice and hard work. But Martinez should have replaced him before it. And he scored the first one for his team? Admire his steel in stepping up but Slovenia had already missed their first. The pressure was lessened before he stepped up.

Still hope they win.

Maradonna crying in 1990.

Why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭patob

Don't think Martinez has the bottle to sub Ronnie, looks like a puppet manager. Glad to see Portugal scrape through, some amazing players.

I hate chat gpt.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭thamus doku

Ronaldo for me is still worth his place. He is obviously not what he was but he is still the nerves of steel to step up and take the first penalty after earlier missing the penalty

Ronaldo is 39, what’s Bruno Fernandes excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

Slovenia battled so hard for a 120 mins to keep a clean sheet for to only fold so easily in the shoot it. Their goal keeper was very good. 210 mins against England and Portugal without conceding.

What is worrying for portugal is is how tired they looked towards the end of the 90 and into extra time. Pepe and Ronaldo are too old for playing 120 mins now. It was not even hot in stutgart last night. If they fade like that against France and match goes to extra time they will get knocked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Messi like Ronaldo has massive ego. Messi at Barca was demanding that he gets to decide who is signed/plays with, that is not selfless. There are many stories about his petulant behaviour. Ronaldo and Messi are both gifts to football entertainment. But neither are Jesus Christ/ the devil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Ronaldo wasn't brilliant last night but he wasn't completely useless for the first 60/70 minutes , he was however ineffective after that point.

His free kicks yesterday were better than they usually are as he actually got one of them on target and another not far away , generally his free kicks are much worse than that.

The reason you keep him on is his heading ability as he can always leap up and score a header from a set piece or speculative cross, he's one of the best headers of the ball in the history of the game.

The issue is though it's clear Martinez is afraid to drop him at any stage , he indulged him by playing him against Georgia purely because Ronaldo wanted to break his duck in this tournament when he should have been resting.

Goncalo Ramos really should start the next game as he can provide more energy than Ronaldo will be able to bring after 120 minutes last night bring Ronaldo on in the second half as an impact sub.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

Ramos should be starting, as should Jota and play behind him. They'd be strong favourites if you look at the creativity they have in Midfield. How J Felix also can't get in to this side is baffling. Everytime i see him he is unreal. But like you'd then have to make a decision on someone else in Midfield

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭muzakfan

Id say the rest of the Portuguese team will breathe a sigh of relief when Ronaldo calls it a day tbh. Big talent but everything has to be the Ronaldo show also featuring Portugal.

Carry on after missing the penalty was cringe. What a needy little b*tch. 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

He's a genius but also a textbook narcissist, everything must be about him all of the time

Advertisement