Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Euro 2024 AH thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Another ineptitude masterclass from Southgate.

It's a scandal that England have not won a trophy in 60 years given that it's their national sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,814 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Disagree, they did when they scored, Spain were rattled albeit briefly.
    The better team responded.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭munster87

Doesn’t seem like you’d be almost 90 years old

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Randycove

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭xl500

And those countries you mentioned are universally hated by the countries they occupied as England are by their occupied nations

But the occupiers will never under stand this fact

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭ledwithhedwith

what a beautiful morning it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Randycove

so not every country wanted Spain to win then?
    It’s just an Irish thing, where we like to try and justify our small man syndrome by claiming other countries agree, when in reality they don’t?

It embarrassing the way people go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Good morning all, what a beautiful thread this has been over the last month......thank you and goodbye.

Or should that be.....

muchas gracias y adios!!

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭GHendrix

I don’t think people on here understand how rivalries work. You can be an Englishman and support Arsenal and still not want Man City to win the Champions league. And then support those same City players for England.

Ireland and England are neighbours and have a mainly friendly rivalry. I don’t want England to win at football, Rugby or even the fecking Eurovision. But I have family and friends in England and have nothing against the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭randd1

It’s staying away,

It’s staying away,

It’s stay-ing,

Football’s staying away!!

Delighted Spain won, much better for the sport to see an attacking team (and an attacking team that doesn’t sit back when they’re ahead at that) win than the boring crap England play.

Hard luck to England, but in reality bar a half against the Dutch they’ve been more than lucky all tournament, and they didn’t have the quality to do the business against the first real top side they met.

Next tournament it’ll be 60 years of hurt. That’s 30 tournaments that they’ve either failed in or failed to reach.

Football’s coming home is funny statement. It’s been a long time now since an England team actually had the ability to control a game. Scholes could do it, but he was moved around to facilitate the flashier and more bombastic Gerrard and Lampard, but neither of those could control the tempo of a game. If you can control the flow of a game, you can’t win tournaments.

In order for football to come home, you have to play football first. England don’t seem to know how, and it seems endemic to their nature in the sport. You’d wonder if the English panel was moved to clubs in Spain, Germany and Italy and learned the nuances and more technical side of the game, would they be better off?

Even at that, are any of the English players the heartbeat of their club sides? Some good players yes, but are they the lynchpin of their sides? Don’t see it in any of them, at club level none of them are the go-to players in terms of having the team built around them. For all their qualities at club level, they concede the creativity and control side of games to foreigners at club level. Can’t do that repeatedly and then expect to win at international level.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,338 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Oh and Bruce Sprinsteen wants you to stop singing his song.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Jaffa3000

The it’s coming home chant comes from a song and refers to an international tournament (Euro 96) being played at home

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭AyeGer

In fairness that was a catchy tune, as was world in motion and there was another song the England team had years ago that was decent too.

Sky Sports News already talking about wining the world cup in 26. They really will never learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,228 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

It's 28 years old and as a novelty sports song and it really has stood the test of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

Watched the game back in full last night after i got home from London.

Basically Southgate cost the team the chance of winning with his selection. Kane should never have started. Cole Palmer should be starting every game regardless. It was obvious Foden isn't in much form, or struggles with these tactics. Watkins should be starting.

Anyway, glad for Spain. Great second half performance. They'll have a serious team with Pedri and Gavi back in the team for the World cup. A side with Yamal(17), Williams(22), Gavi(19), Pedri(21) and there is another lad called Pau Cubarsi(17) who'll be brilliant to watch in the next World Cup

Thank **** i don't have to listen to them to muppets again in commentary

• Registered Users Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭amacca

While I get what you are saying xavi and iniesta etc would have been pretty imposing to face back in the day too....albeit in a different (way.

Yeah the centre back issue isn't as big as some are making out. They have some decent prospects coming through.

Duplicate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

I'm not a fan of the Swiss if that's any help...and I love to see the French getting the shite beaten out of them in soccer or rugby....if that's any help, should be some common ground there...

I was in Barcelona when Spain won the world cup and it seemed like a sizeable majority of them couldn't give a shite or didn't like the national team much...with exception of some of the barca players.

It's not unusual for one group of mammals to dislike another group of mammals for lots of reasons...sometimes just out of habit

Those nordic countries are fairly far away to have any real strong feelings about....and its been a good while since they were sailing around looting and pillaging....and sure aren't we related to them!

The referance to Barcelona and Spain winning the world cup is totally different though. A poll on any given day could have as much as 70% of Catalunyans wanting independence from Spain.

There is a real hatred amongst the fans of Barce and Real for each other, a lot of it dating back to when Franco was in charge and some of his "policies"

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭boetstark

No I didn't. It was another poster that said " Oirland had an inferiority complex" when replying to my comment.

I might be alot of things but I would never suggest one race is inferior to another.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,502 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Spain were the deserved winners - they were the best team in the tournament and had to put the hosts and the pre-tournament favourites out on their way to the final. It would have been a bit of a travesty if they hadn't gone on to win it.

Having said that, I don't feel like dancing on England's grave either. On the face of it, to get to the final and to lose to the best team - well, I dunno, I think that's fair enough. They were poor in the group stages, but they got gradually better as the tournament progressed. Yes, they were on the easier side of the draw, but Switzerland and the Dutch weren't no-hopers and there's always this weight of expectation and pressure that the England team has to play under as well. And whatever about his positives or negatives as a coach, I don't mind Southgate as a public figure. 

The tournament wasn't that great really. Some of the group stages were good and the two semis and the final itself were okay, but the majority of football in the knockouts was poor. 

• Registered Users Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭pgj2015

They are years behind the best footballing teams, they wont win anything for at least 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,502 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Are they really years behind though?

They've gone deep in the last four international tournament - including a semi and two finals. Looks to me as if they're knocking on the door of winning something at this point. The core of that team is young enough too.

I'm not saying England are odds on for the next world cup, but, they'll be in the conversation.

They aren't years behnd anyone, however, i'll say a few things though, they have missed three great chances over the last 4 years for success and if you dig a bit deeper, they could be left waiting a while.

Kane's days as a world class striker appear to be nearing an end. Rice is overrated. Walker is getting any younger and i still don't think that defence is any great shakes.

I don't see a huge amount of world class players coming through if you say in comparison to Spain and France.

Reading some articles i believe Brazil have some wonderkids about to break through over the next few years also

• Advertisement

Ah ye have to look at the draws. They have had a handy enough run in the last 4 tournaments. I wouldn't call a quarter final deep either considering the quality is so diluted these days. England's defensive problems are only likely to worsen too. Please god they re-enter the doldrums of not making knockout stages or losing in the second round.

Slovakia should have beaten them.

Advertisement