Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Euro 2024 AH thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Randycove

which bit is wrong.

I’m guessing you’ve never heard of Dal Riata as they don’t teach that in the Patriots are us hamdbook. It’s true though, that’s why DNA testing can’t distinguish between Scots and Irish heritage.

The Scots obviously living in the North of the Eastern British isle and the Irish in West British Isle.

Or I guess you could the eastern one Great Britain and the western one Little Britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

It would be hard to argue for any of the Spanish team (except Rodri) making it into England's squad, based on club form and statistics.

So why do Spain end up looking a level above England? I don't think it's down to Southgate because England have never looked like a cohesive team. They have always been less than the sum of their parts.

The difference is football culture. They are an inferior football culture. And that is a very hard thing to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

Off the top of my head i can think of 5 spanish players who'd make the Endlgand squad no problem

I have a feeling that if they had got the 1966 fifty years of hurt etc. monkey off their back, they would have been a completely different team come the World Cup.

I'll name them so your left in no doubt

Simon

Raya

Rodri

Ruiz

Yamal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Musicrules

😂 Patriots are us hamdbook. Some basic research will show you how wrong you are on both areas I pointed out.

Not really focussing on my point though are you that statistically England have far better players.

Yeah you are right about Ruiz though. The goalkeepers much of a muchness. Yamal, I really don't know. As I said statistically he is not getting in ahead of Saka or Palmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,597 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I know what you mean, but you don't pick players based solely on statistics. Your not telling me you'd have Anthony Gordon in over Yamal? Or the Arsenal sub keeper in against Arsenal first choice keeper?

If we're working off stats alone you'd have Morata in over Toney

I'm sure i could find a stat for every Spanish player that would beat a certain stat on a like for lke position.

not really, you’ll just have to deal with being a West Brit, you know you want to.

• Advertisement

🤣 You obviously looked it up and realised you were wrong! That's enough free lessons for you, I'll place you on ignore.

Oh please do.

That’s the great thing about people who like to throw around terms like West Brit, they are usually very short of education and long on hissy fits.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Half the England team are very overhyped by the English media and their fans, Rice, Bellingham, Palmer, Mainoo to name a few. Not half as good as they are made out to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

Maybe a lot here are watching too much English football. That so called team of super stars were played of the pitch the other night on all stats. Stones would make the Spanish team a fit Harry kane and maybe walker and that's about it. They actually played England off the park in the second half without rodri.....

Williams would walk onto the English team as well.

Spain should have scored around 5 goals in that game, England were lucky Spain had an off day.

the Bundesliga player of the year, La Liga player of the year, Kopa trophy winning Golden boy of the year that Real Madrid paid €103m for, is over hyped.

By who?

That's true, 2-1 was very kind to England. 4 or 5-1 would have been more reflective of Spain's dominance. But sure we'll take a 2-1. 😂

Where was he against Spain? He is overhyped like a lot of English players.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I know this is crazy but good players can have bad games.

Its not just the English media that rate Bellingham. Of all the players to state is overrated by the English media you use the player who won la liga player of the year.

Based specifically on the Euros Foden is very much overrated.

World Class players can adapt to most situations. He struggled.

I’m in no way saying he isn’t very good, but English media have built him to be the next great big thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Simon, Raya, Carvajal, Laporte, Cuchatela Grimaldo, Ruiz, Rodri Pedri, Yamal and Williams would all be in a combined England and Spain Squad imo. No way Mainoo Wharton, Gallagher would be in the squad as midfield options.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Gareth Southgate has got ridiculous praise from the English media today for being a father figure to the players someone who empowers them to be themselves and speak on issues, someone who brought back love and respect for the national team.

And this is exactly why England haven't won anything in 60 years, the FA seem to want their manager to function as a Public relations officer for the FA rather than the manager of a football team and if he's not able to do the PR job they don't want him.

Gareth Southgate may be a nice fella (and it certainly seems like he is) but his job is to get results and win tournaments not be a PR man.

Also if you play in a very cautious manner in any sport as England have under Southgate it's only acceptable if you win as if you don't get the job done you can rightly look back and say maybe they should have went for it a bit more. At least if you go all out to dominate teams and win games and come up short in the end by not winning the tournament you can legitimately say we gave it absolutely everything and weren't good enough, there is more satisfaction is losing in that manner than in the way England have performed.

Post edited by Jack Daw on

Same as Palmer, he came on as a sub in most games and apart from the goal against Spain did very little, just basic passes but the commentators and English media made out like everything he did was world class.

@jack daw if they went for it a bit more against Spain it would have been 5-0 to Spain.

Apart from his 2 goals in the whole tournament he did nothing, also he was anonymous in the champions league final.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

Absolutely. Champions league final, semi final and final in the euros, both games against city in the champions league semi final i thought what is the hype about ? He is basically a Stephen Gerrard type player who will get some great moments but doesn't have a massive effect on games if you know what I mean

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

To me Bellingham looked a much more complete player when he played as a box to box midfield player for England and Dortmund as opposed to a number 10 where he's played in the past year.Sure he's getting more goals but that's all he seems to do as a number 10 whereas at least when he played deeper he was having a greater overall influence and driving the team forward from midfield.It worked with Madrid because they didn't play a proper striker for most of last season so they needed him to score goals but with M'Bappe next season they'll probably need more of a creator in that position (like an Ozil) rather than a guy who charges into the box and gets goals.

I think he should be used in midfield where he can do a bit of everything , defend space, tackle, dribble pass and get some goals a bit like Michael Ballack at his peak as opposed to how he's being used now where he just seems to score goals but not much else.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

Im not an anti England person at all but my god they were awful, played terrible and were fortunate get their wins, if France, Germany or Portugal were in their side of the draw then they would have been gone long before.

Yamal and Gordon play in different positions so that point doesn't make sense. The keepers neither of them are world beaters. They are all the same level just with different strengths and weaknesses.

Do you think man for man Spain have the better set of players, because unless you do I don't know why you're arguing over one or two players that even if true won't negate my point.

• Advertisement

You said originally

It would be hard to argue for any of the Spanish team (except Rodri) making it into England's squad, based on club form and statistics.

Your point makes no sense with regards statistics, have you followed every Spanish players club form throughout the last year? Very doubtful

I have named 5 players at least who'd make the squad, there is actually more based on your claim about "statistics"

Now, are you saying that Jarrod Bowen (A right winger) would make the England squad ahead of Yamal? Would Toney (based on your claim of stats) make the squad ahead of Morata? NO

If your going to try and make a valid claim, or argument. Make a reasonable one, or, at least aknowledge when you're wrong.

Advertisement