Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What expenses are involved with bring old motorcycles into Ireland?

Options
  • 13-06-2024 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭

I'm wondering about bringing a vintage (1920/30s) motorcycle into Ireland from the UK or Europe.

I know from the UK, import tax and duty would have to be paid. Do these have to be paid from bikes coming from the EU?

I presume these fees are collected by the courier/delivery company when the bike would be coming in?

The reason I'm asking is, I've seen bike at auctions like Bonhams, and I'm just trying to work out what other costs will be involved. Also buying from an auction house I think there is an urgency to get the lots moved out.

Is vehicle registration tax only needed to be paid when the bike is ready to go on the road?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If coming from the EU there will be VRT due and if the bike is less than 6 months old or has less than 6,000 km then VAT is due. VRT will be near zero as you get 10% discount per year since it was registered. If the bike has no Odometer you might get hit with VAT. VRT has to be paid within 30 days of it landing in Ireland, there is a penalty applied to VRT if you register it after the 30 days but since VRT will be near zero for a vintage bike it's irrelevant.

If you are importing from the UK you have to use a customs agent who will sort everything bar VRT for you, if importing from the EU you can do it yourself.

The auction will have the amount of time after purchase you have to move the bike on their site or in the auction pack, it's usually only a day or 2, and they'll also most likely have a list of couriers. The cost to get it to Ireland depends on the courier you use.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

coming from the UK, you're going to attract: Customs (10%), VAT (23%), and VRT on a 1920s/1930s will be effectively zero.

Now, if you go mad and buy a £200k Vincent in the UK, you're going to get hammered for €54k in VAT alone. You'll be paying VAT based on the Auction House invoice………..caveat emptor….

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement