Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever met a non-Irish celebrity?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Hontou

Yes. Mostly people actually asking for upgrades. They would have a complaint that they would make up to justify their upgrade. There was a bit of 'Do you know who I am?' I never did. Z list celebrities from unknown bands. Actors were usually worse than musicians. Often the managers, producers, heads of business travelling with the bands were awful while the bands were nice. Business passengers that could not secure a business class seat were often difficult. It's better these days as if a passenger misbehaves they are kicked off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,841 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Have met quite a few rugby players over the years at different corporate or IRFU eventd.

One that always stands out was Serge Betsen. He was doing pre-game corporate gig for a bank, and happily chatted away to anyone and everyone whilst having a few drinks. As it was wrapping up and people were headed towards the stadium he asked where everyone was meeting afterwards. Ended up in Paddy Cullens with about a group of approx. 15 people he'd never met before that day until 1am. Thoroughly sound skin

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭vswr

Chris Pontius (Jackass), and Joe Elliot (Def Lepard) … both really sound

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭testtech05

Somewhat similar story but and I know they wont be celebs to everyone but met the All Blacks team after they beat us in the last second in 2013 (still hurts that one haha)
    The guys I met/chatted to (Dane Coles & Charlie Faumuina)were very sound and all for a chat and a bit of a laugh with the Irish fans in the pub. Ended up inviting a group of us into the VIP area to meet the more well known players and when they were leaving got a round of drinks in for us.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,620 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a friend of mine was cabin crew in aer lingus. the one story i remember her telling us about an obnoxious star was j-lo; she wouldn't even look at the staff, her PA handled all communication, sitting in the seat next to j-lo.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

No sure if it counts as meeting but when I was an extra on the set of Michael Collins I was right next to Julia Roberts. I think I even patted her shoulder after the scene, for no real reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

It sounds like an Alan Partridge call in for "it's the bank holiday, what are you doing and who are you with".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,399 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Richard and David Attenborough in London back in the early 90s. Had a longish chat with both. Chalk and cheese.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

I met rapper Murs a few years back. Sound lad and also a vegetarian, like myself. However he doesn't drink, unlike myself.

Met Peanut Butter Wolf (DJ, Producer and Owner/Founder of Stones Throw Records) at a gig before he was due to DJ. We were both biggin' up the band, Orgone, that was on before him.

Met Kool Keith after a show. He signed my copy of Claybourne Family and one gig and gave me a T-shirt at another gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

It wasnt really, Competition was called '31 days in May' and they had a top prize to give away each day, they'd give a clue at 8am and tell ya song to listen out for, next time they play it ring in and answer 2 questions.

REALLY good prizes, like spend a day in studio wit a band, go abroad with a band to see a gig, i won on 30th May, prize for 31st May was a trip to Australia to some some band, think it was a dance band.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Murt2024

Conor Mcgregor in his home land of the UK.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Eric Gales, guitar player in Ballyshannon.

He was hanging around after playing the Rory Gallagher festival, I tried talking bollox with him but he wasn't really listening, got a selfie though.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭ottolwinner

lots of international tennis players, cyclists and soccer players from my old work. Can’t say many were rude or anything like that. All very normal

• Registered Users Posts: 25,473 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

dealt with him on the phone here for a business he was a client of over about a 3 year period ….Unbelievably friendly and charming and down to earth. Anytime I’ve seen him interviewed he just comes across as per those conversations, just down to earth, nice and no BS. Had a certain kindness and down to earth Yorkshireness about him I dunno.

what was Willie Thorne like ? Always came across as a nice fella on TV but I know a lad from here that played on the amateur circuit with him when he was living over in England and they were both up and coming, a very reliable person and let’s say didn’t have a good word to say about him… a real piece of work supposedly

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭nice bit of green

Snooker player Anthony Hamilton in a pub in 2001. Really sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

Def Leppard were sh1te but about the best of the sh1te bands and seemed sound as people

Willie Thorne was a chronic gambling addict

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

Have met many "stars" over the years for various different reasons.

Bruce Springsteen, outside the Merrion in 2005, chatted to him for a couple of minutes while he signed some autographs. Dead Sound

Sat opposite Susanna Reid(extremely attractive in the flesh) on a Private Jet organsed by Steve Parish to watch Palace away against Man City

Drank with Robbie Fowler, McManamin and a few other heads a couple of times late nineties as mate played for Liverpool at the time.

Ronnie O'Sullivan, John Higgins (plenty others from that scene) several times

Luis Figo (kind of) at his "bar" in Vilamoura marina

Ronan Keating, sat next to his kid on a flight to Faro(circa 2006 or so), he was pleasent enough, Ronan and Kid

I'm sure there are others i can't recall currently

EDIT

Someone mentioned famous DJ's, reminds me, have met PVD, Judge Jules, Seb Fontaine, Carl Cox, Armanind Van Burren, few others (was able to get vip tickets to a lot of dance festivals)

EDIT 2

Cricketers Kevin Pieterson &Mick Vaughan, actually many other crcketers attending games in UK & Caribbean that most reading this thread wouldn't now who they were.

Post edited by wazzzledazzle on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Motivator

I’ve met loads of people over the years. I met Eric Clapton in Logan airport in Boston. He was sitting beside me reading the newspaper waiting for the gate to appear on the screen above us. Nice chap, very quiet and nobody put in or out on him.

I met Zinedine Zidane on a street corner just off Times Square in New York. Very random seeing him over there, for some reason it just seemed to be last place in the world I’d ever expect to meet him. I had a photo with him on Bebo and never once did I back the bloody thing up. Unless bebo comes back that photo is gone forever.

I met Tiger Woods in Mt. Juliet in 2002. My aunt lives directly next to the property and got me a job for the few days the tournament was on. It was just starting to get dark and I was walking towards the back gate of the estate to go to her house. He had been down fishing and was going back towards the main house. He was with one other guy I presume his manager or something and it was just the three of us nobody else around. He signed my itinerary sheet for me and I wished him good luck in the tournament. He won it and it was such a strange feeling seeing him flanked by 4 guards everywhere he went during the tournament and with 20,000 people following him. Such a contrast to a couple of days before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Kind of, I guess. I'm jealous of you in a way, I love Nirvana and the Foos

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 25,473 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Liam Gallagher and Gem Archer of Oasis… again in work at airport having seen the band in Landsdowne Road the night before. 2000 I think, unbelievably shîte gig btw… Gem was unbelievably affable, ordinary and down to earth, just joined the band I think months before… Liam was weird, didn’t speak a syllable but nodded and was smiling but had the look and demeanour of someone extremely hungover

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,005 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I met Robert Fripp at a King Crimson album launch in London back in the 90s. He's one of those folks who doesn't like people approaching him unless he's mentally prepared for it, which he was in this case. I don't know if "nice" is the word but he was funny.

Also in London in the 1990s, I went to a pub gig at which a singer named Tim Bowness was performing, and he and a bunch of us stayed chatting in the pub afterwards. His mate Steven Wilson was there too, not performing but just hanging out. The latter is a name you might have heard now, since he has a massive body of work, both solo and with Porcupine Tree, all kinds of collaborations, multiple Grammy nominations for his production work. He's a celebrity now, but back then I don't know.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Sam Neill. He came in to the shop I was working in, looking to buy a camera. I recognised him straight away and chose to treat him like anyone else. Gave him the options which included the cheapest digital camera we sold. He bought a camera. Some of the other staff recognised him and spoke to him. I carried on helping the next person. I'm sure they'd like their 'off days'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭micar

Susanna Reid really annoys me.

When's on TV ….. sometimes when she speaks. She has a little smirk on her face.

Was that Richie Partridge??

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

Met Jake White in a random bar in Edinburgh in 1997. Had a great chat, bought him a few pints. Ended up back in the Springboks hotel drinking beer with the team that won the 1995 rugby world cup. Will never forget that.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭xyz13

Vance Joy.

Phil Daniels [actor]

Julian Casablancas [The Strokes]

Alex James, Damon Albarn, Graham Coxon and Dave Rowntree aka Blur

My guitar hero Nuno Bettencourt and the whole of Extreme [band].

Paolo Nutini, Jack Johnson, James Bay, Myles Kane and a couple more. I'd add Gary Lightbody to the list but he proudly calls himself Irish...

Bono and Adam Clayton

Post edited by xyz13 on

3 sides to every story...

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭lobbylad

At launch of Windows 95 in K Club (ironically not in 1995), was setting up the internet connection for the speakers, chap and his wife comes over to ask what I'm at, how I'm getting on, enjoying working etc - it was Bill and Melinda Gates

A few minutes later, Warren Buffet comes over and chats for a few minutes too

Not me, but my Dad had an real estate agency in Carlow, one day he came home and said "Oh by the way Mick Fleetwood dropped into the office today". A few months later it was "Oh, David Bowie was in the office today". Fleetwood didn't buy anything locally (that I'm aware of), but Bowie did, a house near Shillelagh (Coolattin), but as far as I know he never stayed there and sold it a few years later.

First time in USA, on a work trip, my sister had given me a list of makeup bits to get in Macy's, I was at the counter, couldn't make out my sisters handwriting, so the 2 girls at the counter beside me looked over and said "Here, give us that, we know what everything is", so they took the note and ordered the stuff for me - it was Emma Bunton aka Baby Spice and Victoria Beckham (she wasn't Beckham back then), prob around early 90's. I think it was the Spice Girls first trip to the US as a group. Both were very nice and chatted away.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭baxterooneydoody

Had a few drinks and a sing song in a hotel bar after a concert with Brian May years ago, we got well drunk and I sang a few irish songs and he sang a couple of queen songs a great memory to have. He told me I'd a great singing voice, he may have been lying but I'll take that compliment

Had a few drinks with Graham Norton as well, really nice and sound, good crack once he realised we didn't give a damn who he was and he joined us for a couple of hours, it was on the other side of the world in a non English speaking country and I think he was perplexed that 4 big country lads from the west of Ireland were drinking in a gay bar even though none of us were gay. Turned into a great night. Another great memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,816 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Did you tell them what you wanted? What you really really wanted?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,572 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Kerry Katona when she was filming Showbands here in the area i live in.

She is about as tall as a smurf in real ife but was very friendly and a lot better looking in the flesh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,816 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Advertisement