Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scottish Australian Rock and Pop Musicians

• 14-06-2024 10:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭

Whenever I think of ACDC, I often think about how some of their leading members had emigrated from Scotland to Australia as children. This lead me to think of others who made the same journey. Here is what I have come up with.

ACDC: Angus Young - lead guitarist and founding member, the late Malcolm Young (brother of Angus) - rhythm guitarist and founding member, the late Bon Scott - lead vocalist and Stevie Young (nephew of Angus) - current rhythm guitarist.

George Young (now deceased): some of his growing up in Australia - brother of Angus: a member of The Easybeats (worldwide hit with Friday on My Mind) and one of two guys behind Flash and the Pan (big hit this part of the world with Waiting for a Train), also some involvement with ACDC as a musician and producer.

John Paul Young (no relation to the ACDC Youngs): pop singer with big international hit with Love is in the Air.

Colin Hay – lead vocalist of Men At Work - successful rock band in the 1980s, with Down Under being their biggest hit here, but there were some others.

Jimmy Barnes (originally James Swan): solo performer and vocalist of rock band Cold Chisel.

Swanee (John Swan, brother of Jimmy Barnes): rock singer

Any more?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭rpirl

Seems like there might be more Scottish-born Australian musicians than English-born ones…

There is also indie-pop artist Matthew Bannister who left Scotland aged 17 but went a small bit further on and got involved in New Zealand music scene

https://matthewbannister.bandcamp.com/

Advertisement