Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

got it sorted! thanks

Options
  • 14-06-2024 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Thanks everyone

Post edited by Spear on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Highlighter75

I often worked 2 jobs. I owned an alarm clock. Was never late. If you're going awol for 2 feckin days and not contacting when late while on probation then you can expect to probably not be kept on.

You might get lucky and have your probation extended.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭Augme

It's very difficult now to extend someone's probation. If your past 9 months and you got a satisfactory on your nine months then you are basically past probation anyway. As for what happens next,c ould be another verbal warning, they could go down the road of withholding your increment. It really does depend on the HEO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 TheBigMoosy

I had 15 alarms on. Slept through all. It happens to the best of us.

So pretty much done in the civil service then ya think? Ah well

No, the opposite. If you've completed your nine month assessment you've pretty much passed your probation and it's very difficult for them to get rid of you.

It'll be nine months in like 3 weeks though? I just rounded up instead of down. Haven't had my 9 month meeting yet either🫠🙃 so that probably makes a difference?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

If your work is up to scratch and this isnt repeat behaviour youre going to be fine. Id expect the HEO to remind you of procedures re non attendance and being late etc. I wouldnt imagine your probation not getting approved over what you described

If youre experiencing difficulty in your personal life please remember you have access to the Employee Assistance Officer.

Yep, unfortunately that makes a big difference. It still boils down to what your HEO decides, they might be sound and not make an issue of it.

Worth considering whether you want to join the Union over the weekend. If you're given an unsatisfactory and then engage the Ubion they likely won't get involved at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Not gonna lie, if I was your HEO, I'd be having my doubts about passing your probation.

I'm not going to sugar-coat it for you, you need to get your act together. Now.

Staying out for two days and not calling in is really bad. Any unauthorised absence is a BIG no no.

And then messaging in at 10:30 for an annual leave day? That's also bad. (Even worse if you didn't pick up the phone.) You broke more rules there.

Doing your work while you're there and not taking the piss on your phone, is what you're supposed to do, not something to be praised for.

You'd need to be not mess up again for the next few weeks / months, and you might get lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭octo

Was anything flagged at your 6 month probation review? If not, you should have a chance of staying. There might be an option to extend your probation period. If I was your manager I’d be trying to get rid of you. You sound like a nightmare.
    Also, you shouldn’t be working a second job.

I've quit the second job this week. Nope, nothing was flagged at 6 months, all satisfactory.

I've never had a problem before the last 2 months for them to think I'm a nightmare..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Ted222

The decision will be taken in the context of your 9 month review. It depends on whether the recent experience is considered an aberration (or two!) or whether it’s reflective of your overall attitude and application.

As others have said, not taking the p!ss on the phone is not a standard that exudes competence at a level needed to add value. If they were minded to be rid of you, you’ve given them the perfect ammunition.

There will be no extension of probation. A decision will be made at 9 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭octo

Disappearing for two days?? That’s really really not cool. In junior positions, reliability is more useful than brilliance.

You should be honoured to be a civil servant. Grovel and eat humble pie to your manager and don’t try to bullsh1t him/her. Be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

You “got it sorted“ on a Friday night after 9:35pm? 🤨

How'd you manage that?

Advertisement