Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timelines on new property contract/legal stuff

Options
  • 14-06-2024 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

We are buying a new property as first-time buyers and getting the ick from the estate agents marketing the property. Our solicitors have had the contracts for 4 weeks now and they have called us THREE TIMES in the last week (the estate agent) asking why we havent closed/signed them yet blah blah. I tell them it's in the solicitors hands to do the work and the solicitor maintains in our conversations all is good and they are doing the enquiries with the builder etc trust the process. Does this seem unprofessional since it's completely out of our control for the legal stuff?

Is there a timeline for this process for it to take place etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭NSAman

It's all down to believing who you believe. Currently purchasing a place in Dublin, off market. Deal was done two months ago, the other side's solicitor only got the information to my solicitor last Friday.

My solicitor is thorough always has been, but the other party is asking why we haven't followed through. Told him the details.

Honestly, tell the EA to phone your solicitor if he wants an update..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Citygirl1

Please don't ask the estate agent to phone your solicitor! Your solicitor doesn't work for them. That would be a waste of solicitor's time, and will get them offside. If you can get your solicitor to communicate with you, and it seems you can, that's the first step. Many solicitors don't seem to return calls/emails even to their clients.

As you say, these things take time. and the legal process is slow. It's better that your solicitor is doing their due diligence, on your behalf. Other parties will take their time to respond.

The estate agent is likely under pressure to collect their fee. But, they do sound quite unprofessional.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Signed contracts at the end of November 2023 and got keys at the end of March 2024 for a new build.

Developers solicitor kept looking to me to for updates. Kept telling to contact my solicitor if he wanted an update. It's all part of the game. They just want to pester you into closing.

Advertisement