Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flimsy signs

Options
  • 14-06-2024 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hey, long time lurker from the North.

Has anyone else noticed that road signs in Ireland don't hold up to wear well? That is compared to other countries. Maybe it's just my OCD but the signs often become dinged and bent considerably. As they're a big part of the visual amenity - or whatever the planner speak is - this gives junctions a tatty look after a while.

This is gonna sound mad but I remember thinking this years ago so I thought I'd do a simple test - folly of youth - and tried flexing some if them (could've ended up in a Private Eye story about a sign fetishist). Anyway, the ones in the North were made of thicker aluminium sheet and way less bendy. By comparison the ones in the South you could've easily bent out of shape with just hand pressure.

Nb: no Yield/Give Way signs were, er, harmed in this, er, investigation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭raindodger

problem i find is that they plant a tree in front of them and forget that the tree will grow

• Registered Users Posts: 6,624 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Stop bending our signs.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Hailtothethief

I was thinking that same thing. When you see how many signs are covered either partially or fully by growth you can't stop seeing how bad maintenance is.

Advertisement