Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AFTA V NFC V ABROAD

Options
  • 15-06-2024 6:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi all!

Need a bit of advice here, I am considering continuing my flight training at AFTA in cork after some flying break at NFC due to personal/financial issues. I started training there in 2022!

Short story is I was at NFC from day one, very bad experience; instructors you got were either very bad, non supportive or only cared about their own hours and I had to drop down from integrated to PPL partly because of this loosing thousands of euro with very little flying hours to show for it.

I'm considering moving to AFTA to complete the full training on Modular basis PPL -commercial although I live in Kildare with a family/ mortgage/ full time job- I am not planning on driving down everyday either only once or twice a week!

I have been to this school happy with the first impression, any honest advice from anyone about the instructors or school in general would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭breadmond

I've only heard good things about AFTA, meant to be a very nice place to study. Only issue people complain about is weather delaying flights but having trained in Ireland already I suppose you're used to it!

As for Europe, you'll definitely get more consistent flying conditions somewhere like Spain but obviously there would be a lot more travelling back and forth if you are planning to do it modular

• Registered Users Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭MarkN

Can only tell you positive things about AFTA but the drive is tough after doing two PPL lessons (and ground theory) and the drive home. I was doing two to try make the journey ‘worth it’.

So just to have things straight, you dropped 20k into NFC for integrated (you need this prior to day one) and have nothing to show for it essentially? Normally people switch from integrated to modular as there’s an issue with ATPLs.

Just so we have the whole picture etc

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭hero001

AFTA do have a great reputation, the only issue is Irish weather, which some people have told me added 6 months to their training. If you plan on doing modular spread over time, this may not be such a big issue for you.

AFTA has signed up for the Ryanair program which allows for a conditional job offer at an early stage, and avoids their Euro 30K type rating fee, so you might want to look into this.

Aer Lingus ran their Future Pilot Program twice this year and will run it at least once every year for the next few years, so that might also be an option for you.

Advertisement