Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do with an underused camper van?

Options
  • 15-06-2024 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭

Hello all, I have a 2001 VW T4 camper (low mileage, 5-year-old conversion) that I am just not using as much as I should/would like to due to work and personal commitments. I really don't want to sell it, but also feel guilty every time I look at it parked outside. It just seems like such a waste as it's a lovely van. I was wondering if anyone has been in the same boat and considered things like time-sharing? So basically selling shared ownership, splitting insurance and other costs. Renting it out seems messy, especially tax-wise, although I'd consider it.

To be fair, it all sounds messy. I'm just wondering if there's another option I haven't thought of…

Thanks in advance, E.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Part-ownership maybe? It's popular with boats certainly.

Not everyone has the funds to outright own a decent camper, and let's face it not many have the time to use one as it should be used, so maybe a group of 4 friends get together in syndicate fashion and agree the weeks/months of the year they'd like for their X share of the total cost.

Post some pics anyway - we do love a nice T4 around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Had cousin in in a similar position, had a lovely van he wasn’t using to it’s potential and was going to sell it .. but a few cousins his brother convinced him not to and that we could all get the use out of it .. so now it’s shared.. we throw him a few quid when using it and the van is being used 8 moments of the year .. we all chip in for maintenance.
    Down side is it’s building up the mileage and wear and tear but it’s not sitting idle and it’s extra cash every week when some uses ..

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Unregistered39

Thanks both! I think I'll put out a few feelers about sharing and hope I can get over my attachment issues! :)

Here she is, I bought her in 2019 from a guy in Southampton who does conversions.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭tonyfillony

I can understand your predicament . I also have a T5 camper . I have only been away in it once this year ( Liverpool game @ Easter ) . I do use it as my daily drive so I do still get a lot of use out of it but not what a primarily want to use it for !

You're doing a lot more than me so, I generally WFH and live near the centre of town so have to make myself drive just for the sake of it! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

It's a shame GoBoony isn't more popular in Ireland. It's basically Airbnb for campervans.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I only posted in a thread yesterday about campervans and how shared ownership like many do for cruisers on the Shannon might be the way to go.

I’ve often considered renting a camper for a week or so but would never consider buying one - simply because it would sit there most of the year - but a share in one? That could work - something I’d consider for maybe 2-3 years after retirement - I guess you need to meet the right bunch of like minded people - also a combo of working and retired so that demand can be easily spread in the summer months ie weekdays vs long weekends etc

If it’s laying up too much, you’d imagine “things will go” in the engine over time whereas if in regular use, everyone can keep an eye and ear out for issues that might need addressing.

Figure out how much it’s worth and then maybe see what people would be willing to pay for a “share” in it.

Let’s say it’s worth 40k- I buy a share for 5k- that allows me say 15- 20 days a year or over a season - that’s just 60 euro per night excluding diesel - if I wish to sell after say 3 years maybe you keep 10 % of the balance and give me back 1800 - allowing you to find another shareholder - so it’s more a right to rent at a price rather than a “share” in your van- you always have ownership of the van- but obviously trust all round will be a significant factor

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

There is an app to rent out your driveway, and I was thinking you could use a version of this, but now I think something informal between friends / family would suit this situ. There are tax & insurance issues if you rent to the public, not to mention you might have to fix problems if someone rents and gets into difficulty 100 miles away.

If its F&F then it can be payment without tax man, and F&F less likely to sue you. Maybe for simplicity, someone (you, OP!) be the one to service and maintain the wagon and then you know it gets done properly & in time. F&F can rent it from you when they want it. Have a Whatsapp group for it !

Not sure how the motor insurance would work ….

Thanks so much for taking the time and effort to reply, I truly appreciate it. I'm going to start by spreading the word to friends and acquaintances and maybe do some short-term rentals at a decent rate this summer in the hope that someone will get bitten by the van bug and be interested in something more permanent. It has open insurance, which helps for now. Also recent CVRT and breakdown assist for peace of mind. It would be lovely to get someone from the camper community (so if anyone is near Dublin and considering it, let me know!). In the meantime, I'll educate myself on the possible pitfalls.

Thanks again to all, E.

Advertisement