Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with sky+ box

Options
  • 15-06-2024 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭

Thanks in advance,

Trying to help my brother, don't have sky myself, RTE1 works (101) RTE2 (102) says "viewing card needs to be paired" RTE2+1 works,

VM 1 & 2 same message "viewing card needs to be paired" but VM 3& 4 work, he has basic package, all his sky and BBCs are all fine,

have tried pairing card online but couldn't even get started, links just brought me round in cycles!!

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,127 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Its been years since I had Sky so wont remember all the little tricks but you could try wiping the card with a soft cloth and / or rebooting the box (disconnect power from wall socket for 2 minutes) with the card inserted.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭LOTTOWINNER

Thanks Muffler,

I'll try that, what's confusing me is why some channels are being unencrypted and others aren't, I assumed if I had a card issue that all channels would be effected?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭con747

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Thanks Con747,

Box is at my brother's house, so I'll try these techniques tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,127 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I think I read here in the past that you can loose some channels if the dish is off a bit. I know that there are 2 bands or groups of Irish channels that can be got through an aerial and if it is off a bit you can receive some channels but not others. So possibly the same happens with a dish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭swoofer

It dawned on me that maybe box is an old sky + and not sky hd one so channels will disappear. In that case sky may not send out the old SKY HD box, go to adverts.ie

The simple solution is ring sky and explain the onscreen messages but sky may refuse to speak to the non card holder so best to ring from their house and ask them to authorise you as contact. Sky will need the details from the services menu. They will also ask you to check the signal strength. In the end you need a replacement card but sky will try and push Sky Q.

Sky can try and re-pair the card and if RTE2 works then its done if not get new card.

Its a pain but ring free number. 1800 92 74 76

Thanks Swoofer,

Phoned Sky today, pretending to be my brother! Although I photographed all the menus and messages when I was there yesterday, the tech support wanted a six digit hardware version number, I had a 6 digit version number which didn't suffice, so as you say Ill have to be in my brother's house next time I call them. Meant to say it is a HD box.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭swoofer

That's a bit weird, if you had a pic of the menu under system details, the version number is under model number, and sky were sneaky a few years back in that the model number is actually the latest software version. The hardware version number is only shown as version number and has only a few variants, this is one 4F3107 from a SKY manufactured box with the model being a DRX 890-C. The boxes were made by amstrad but sky took it over. If you turn box upside down it will have 2 labels and give you model etc.

But its best if you are near box as thy may ask you to go to say sky news 501 and then re-send pairing code. When you are near box check signal as well before you ring.

The number I gave was 4F31E9 which I believe IS the hardware version, as you said, but lady on phone didn't agree, next time I ring Sky Ill be in my brothers house, thanks for your help.

Phoned SKY on Friday from my brother's house, give them exactly the same details, including same hardware version number and card was paired in seconds, so all good, still don't understand why only 3 channels were effected, but thanks for all the help getting it sorted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement