Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Takeaway apps delivery prices and service charges

Options
  • 15-06-2024 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭

First world problem, I know but I've noticed lately that the cost of getting a takeaway delivered has sky rocketed.

In Mullingar we have an app called "What's for Dinner". I believe it's Galway based and operates in a few towns. They used to market themselves as the "free delivery app". Now their service fee was always higher than Just Eat (10% of the order amount up to €2.99) as a result but that often covered deliveries.

They also used to offer other incentives such as €5 off your next order if you spend over €30.

Recently all incentives are gone along with delivery often costing over €4 added to the service fee of 10% remaining. For me it's gone to the situation with these apps that it is now more advantageous to just ring in and collect like the old days. It's almost as if these food apps have actually gone full circle and will now price themselves out if business. I've noticed more people going back to the old phone and collect model instead of paying so much for deliveries.

It's almost like the saturation of streaming services (streaming initially lead to a reduction in piracy as it was cheap and convenient) and the cost of maintaining them all has lead to a resurgence in piracy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭con747

I know the app but never used it because I'm to far out on the other side of Kinnegad, I noticed a few places aren't on it though anymore so they probably copped on it wasn't worth it and went back to other options. I hate the way the food price is inflated with some places then you get charged commission and then the delivery charge! Open the door with the vaseline in hand!!

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭This is it

I ordered tonight from the local Chinese and along with the delivery charge there's a service charge of 70c, and another 22c for the feckin bag as well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭gipi

I stopped using the app for my Chinese due to the "bag charge" - i usually collect the food and they never give me a plastic bag, just a paper one. Bit of sharp practice charging for a bag in that scenario, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

The shops would prefer you didnt use these apps as they take a big percentage. Just ring the shop yourself.

Advertisement